• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

Setting Tool Offsets - Which Tool Table?

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I'm at the point in my CNC learning curve where I want to set up and use tool tables. I think I've got the data entry principles figured out. Here goes. I have a 1" travel dial indicator as my Tool 0 that I set to Z zero on my gauge block. I then load each tool and bring it down and touch off on the gauge block then enter the offset (+ or -) in one of the tool tables. When I setup to machine a part I will then set Tool 0 to top of part and zero the Z axis DRO. The tool offsets will then be set for the part. Am I headed in the right direction?

Mach 3 has it's tool table as does each of the CAM programs I use (D2NC, CamBam, Fusion 360. My question is which tool table takes precedent when running Gcode? I'm assuming it's Mach 3 but need to ask so I don't crash a tool into my vise or table. Do I need to populate all of the tool tables with data? I would prefer to use one table, if possible, so I don't have to update all four. I looked on the net but couldn't find a clear answer to my question.

Thanks,

Tom S.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Mach 3 reads the offset entered into its tool table that corresponds to the specified tool number. So a block of G code like T2 G43 H2 M6 will enable tool offset and load the offset for tool #2

TomS

Active User
Mach 3 reads the offset entered into its tool table that corresponds to the specified tool number. So a block of G code like T2 G43 H2 M6 will enable tool offset and load the offset for tool #2
Thanks for your feedback. I believe I've got it. The Mach 3 tool table provides tool length offset data while the CAM tool table provides radial offset data.

Tom S.

cs900

maker of chips
Mach3 will also do radial tool offsets for the use with cutter comp (G41, G42) operations. I typically fill out the length and diameter column in mach3, and quite often i'll use the wear offset to make small tweaks if something is coming out of tolerance.

[6]
[5] [7]