Sewer manhole lid worth saving?

It's the only shape that can't fall through the hole.

An equilateral triangle also won't fall through. They had triangular manhole covers in Nashua NH although I don't know if any are left.

If it was in Japan it would be street art!
IMG_2316.JPG

Last edited:
Mr.W has the answer I know, in my mind I can get a triangle back through the hole if you can drop one point below the rim, and it has room to slide .

A guy here in town was closing up his shop and had a small punch press about 8' tall, I forget the tonnage.
Very hefty machine. He didn't get any takers and I offered him scrap value for it.
I was thinking of re-purposing it, taking off / cutting up pieces for re-use. Offer up pieces here and such.

He scrapped it... :bang head:

An equilateral triangle also won't fall through. They had triangular manhole covers in Nashua NH although I don't know if any are left.

If it was in Japan it would be street art!
View attachment 312601
If the opening is triangular, the cover could fall through. I suspect though that the real reason is that people aren't triangular in cross section. ;)

On another note, Beijing, China is replacing cast iron manhole covers with plastic covers to deter theft. In 2004, almost a quarter million manhole covers were stolen in Beijing. And we worry about potholes.

Triangular covers would be harder to roll away on a dark night. Problem is there are three corners for the devil to hide in.

If the opening is triangular, the cover could fall through. I suspect though that the real reason is that people aren't triangular in cross section. ;)

On another note, Beijing, China is replacing cast iron manhole covers with plastic covers to deter theft. In 2004, almost a quarter million manhole covers were stolen in Beijing. And we worry about potholes.
Can you imagine tooling down the road in your bicycle and hitting that?
Remember the 'slotted' sewer grates back in the day? I do, hit one with my 10-speed. My buddy gave me no end of grief.
Then a couple of days later we were pedaling down a residential street talking back and forth and he slammed in the rear of a pristine '73 black Nova.
Over the roof and onto the hood. He was bruised and battered but OK. The Nova though was dented & scratched up.

Idk on some streets here in Chicago they’re as big and deep enough it would be like hitting a open sewer. And then you see three road repair trucks sitting off in a parking lot with ALL the occupants sleeping. :surrender:

One day I was driving next to a lady that hit a open sewer cap at 40mph and just kept driving. It had rain hard earlier in the day and pushed the cover off and was in my lane. There was no flooding so when we were going down the road I had seen something in my lane. Coming up to it I had seen the open pipe in her lane and the sewer cover in mine and I moved to avoid the cap and out of the corner of my eye I see this ladies car bounce like in a rodeo and a loud wack. I don’t think she slowed down I was stunned she kept going. I had a good story when I got to work:chunky:

Last edited:
Due to the theft issues many scrap dealers around here will no longer accept a functional manhole cover, It must be cut or broken in half before it can be scrapped.

I watched a snow plow pick a manhole cover off and the car behind him hit the hole. The car was totaled.

Can you imagine tooling down the road in your bicycle and hitting that?
Remember the 'slotted' sewer grates back in the day? I do, hit one with my 10-speed. My buddy gave me no end of grief.
Then a couple of days later we were pedaling down a residential street talking back and forth and he slammed in the rear of a pristine '73 black Nova.
Over the roof and onto the hood. He was bruised and battered but OK. The Nova though was dented & scratched up.
That year, there were eight deaths in Beijing due to people falling into open manholes.

Back