Sewing machines anyone?

Arrgghhh!

Fixed the spot on the harp section....finally. Nice and smooth.

Then I look down at the table portion and sure enough; great big nasty old dog hair buried in the paint!

(insert the most heinous curse words you can think of here)

Now I have to wait for it to harden enough to go back in, sand it smooth and another touch up/blend......SOB.

Jebus crisp!

sanded the deck flat, cleaned it off, , degreased, sprayed and now fish eyes!

I’m going to have 40-50 coats of paint in this damned thing by the time I’m done….

Finally got mine cleaned up and adjusted. Makes a decent straight stitch so far. I’m a complete novice but my wife knows what she’s doing.

E92BD2FD-4CF1-4FFD-8950-38646CDAB397.jpeg

Holy mother!!!!

sanded the fisheyes out and resprayed. Looked great until I got down and took a really close look.

big ol’ dog hair right in the middle of the table!!!!!

Arrrggghhhh!!!!

sand down the hair and did a couple fisheyes that weren't quite flattened out. Paint is still fairly soft overall, so I clean it with some stoners glass cleaner Instead of something with a solvent base.

Give it 10 mins to dry completely, shake ip the paint and spray.

Ahhhhhh, clean, smooth level paint pf the table. Finally.

Then, I start pulling off the covers where I didn’t want to get paint and then……bloody heck! The cleaner sprayed on the upright portion and somehow paint got to it and made 40-50 little painted water bubbles!!!!

I just can’t win!!!!

Frustrated beyond reason now, I grab a cloth and wipe off the painted water droplets. Then grab the spray paint and I just spray the area where the droplet bubbles were.

Luckily for me, the paint is still fresh enough that the new paint reflows it and alk the droplet “divots” disappear.

So now its finally painted and there it will sit for a week or so to harden up.

Man, what a PITA this simple paint job has become….

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about this Singer? I'm looking for something I can do canvas light leather, webbing etc.

Thanks

00p0p_KfDmi3JwVr_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

I picked up a Sailrite from my mom’s friend. She only used it a couple times for their sailboat so it’s in like new condition. She let it go for $400 so I couldn’t pass it up. It’s a little monster. If it fits under the foot it’ll sew it. It’s like this stock picture.
4409D153-EFD5-4C9A-90C7-A261972D9715.jpeg

I have been enjoying the sewing machine thread so I thought I would jump in too. I have a Consew 260RB that I have used for automotive upholstery. I am in the early learning stages but enjoy the challenge of rebuilding a seat, making patterns and sewing it together. The pictures are of an old Singer 29-4 treadle machine. When I retired I completely disassembled the machine, cleaned and repainted. It looks beautiful it operates so smoothly. It is an amazing mechanical contraption. Unfortunately, we recently moved and I am still getting the shop setup but not sure where the Singer will fit in.

Attachments

• Singer 29-4 ready to paint.jpg
    Singer 29-4 ready to paint.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 9
  • Singer 29-4 with decals and clear coat.jpg
    Singer 29-4 with decals and clear coat.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Singer 29-4 parts cleaned.jpg
    Singer 29-4 parts cleaned.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 9
Anyone know anything about this Singer? I'm looking for something I can do canvas light leather, webbing etc.
Looks like a 328 from the late 1950’s / early 1960’s — I have two. They’re a no frills straight stitch and zig-zag machine capable of decorative stitches by using separate dam discs. Decent enough machines — some say they’re a bit underpowered — and I find they stitch nice enough. As for canvas and leather, they will do lighter grades but they’re really not built for those heavier materials especially over the long term. It really depends on the weights you want to work with though, garment leather is a lot different than shoe leather. Oh, and I think the 328 will also do twin-needle stitches without a special accessory.

Last edited:
Looks like a 328 from the late 1950’s / early 1960’s — I have two. They’re a no frills straight stitch and zig-zag machine capable of decorative stitches by using separate dam discs. Decent enough machines — some say they’re a bit underpowered — and I find they stitch nice enough. As for canvas and leather, they will do lighter grades but they’re really not built for those heavier materials especially over the long term. It really depends on the weights you want to work with though, garment leather is a lot different than shoe leather. Oh, and I think the 328 will also do twin-needle stitches without a special accessory.
That's the kind of feedback I want. I don't want/need to start with something borderline undersized even if it's a good machine.

Thanks

Back