Shaft Material

I have used plenty of 1144tgp (turned ground & polished)
Nice when you can get it in the size needed, very accurate sized. Machines easy.

Second the 1144 for general shafting. Great strength and ease of machining.

Are we splitting hairs here?

Not at all, that is simply the definition of the material known as "steel" , iron is an element as is carbon, if one alloys the two below a certain level of carbon (steel) is produced and above this level what is known as Cast Iron is produced.
It is quite simple really. Adding other elements merely creates Steel with different characteristics, all of it is an alloy.

Aluminum, magnesium and titanium are elements so it is possible to make products from these materials that are not alloys, it is however impossible to make a steel product that is not an alloy by definition.

Guys sounds like 1144 one of several good choices but I like Tonys ideal of drill and taping on the end for a 5/16 bolt.Reading about 1144 it will split into like a broom?So is this still a good choice for that 5/16 bolt and for a half moon key?

Kroll,

You don't have to worry about 1144 stressproof splitting into. That was more or less a fluke in the material. I've seen 4140 do that too! It also has to do with application as in his case very heavy construction/mining equipment where the service factor is like a 3, where on a lathe gear box service factor is like a 1. Your lathe will never put up that kind of torque to damage the shaft. More than likely shear off a key or worse yet destroy a gear. Go for it!

Ken

All steel is an alloy, the phrase Alloy Steel is redundant making stainless steel an alloy of an alloy.
Surprising no one the automotive industry coined the phrase Alloy Wheels, one may produce an aluminum wheel that is not alloyed, it is impossible to produce a steel wheel that is not an alloy.

Are we splitting hairs here? In my book, a steel that is just a carbon steel is not considered an alloy steel; to be considered an alloy steel, usage is that it contains another element, such as tungsten, nickel, chrome, etc. Mere traces of other elements that do not have an effect on strength or durability do not make it an alloy steel.

Ben, to support your definition and for others who might be interested:

Alloy Steel

hello all you didn't say how long or how big the shaft had to be or I missed it,id go to some local bodyshops and see if they've repaced a rear axle shaft,they always throw them in the scrap,,machines fairly well,and usually at no cost,usually about 30 inches long and about 2 inches in diameter, dave

Back