Shaper Attachments

GK1918

Active User
Registered
I just about beat this photo thing almost. I tried to stick these within replys on Nelsons thread. I will
show some photos. These things are very easy to make "a rainy nothing to do day" I can not figure
how to put a text in pics >>Not in order, but my lapper, do a taper, do splines and keys and gears
with this thing. First test was with the yellow tape which worked, since I made a brass degree indicator
with a set screw. Only pic I cannot get is my milling attachment with is great for milling those
mower blades with a starr a Sears thing. Notice my $1 chip pan just pinched on table support.

#1 Lapper #2 copy a spline mark the tape #3 make the copy #4 measure a taper #5 the start= find a block
from the junk box #6 copy a gear #7 S.B. thread for chuck #8 milling attachmen/no can do. I think I
have to dump all pics in my camara its full. (involved project)

Oh back to the beggining about putting this in Nelson origional post I kept getting some error thingy
so I started a new post about shaper attachments. Next plan is to drive the chuck I got most motor and
reduction parts. samuel

112-1292_IMG.JPG 114-1402_IMG.JPG spline for indexer.JPG 114-1411_IMG.JPG 114-1406_IMG.JPG 114-1407_IMG.JPG 112-1298_IMG_2.JPG

Last edited:
I just about beat this photo thing almost. I tried to stick these within replys on Nelsons thread. I will
show some photos. These things are very easy to make "a rainy nothing to do day" I can not figure
how to put a text in pics >>Not in order, but my lapper, do a taper, do splines and keys and gears
with this thing. First test was with the yellow tape which worked, since I made a brass degree indicator
with a set screw. Only pic I cannot get is my milling attachment with is great for milling those
mower blades with a starr a Sears thing. Notice my $1 chip pan just pinched on table support.

#1 Lapper #2 copy a spline mark the tape #3 make the copy #4 measure a taper #5 the start= find a block
from the junk box #6 copy a gear #7 S.B. thread for chuck #8 milling attachmen/no can do. I think I
have to dump all pics in my camara its full. (involved project)

Oh back to the beggining about putting this in Nelson origional post I kept getting some error thingy
so I started a new post about shaper attachments. Next plan is to drive the chuck I got most motor and
reduction parts. samuel

Samuel,

Your ideas and tooling for your shaper are great. About all I have used mine for is to square/clean up raw stock.

I'm with you on the attaching photos thing. I never get them to show in order. One thing I have found is to rename them before attaching them. You can rename them like "1-Lapper" or "2-Copy a Spline" and so on. When posted and someone viewing them puts the cursor over the photo the title pops up near the cursor and the reader can relate the photo to your text. At least the pop-up title thing works with the MS Explorer 9 that I use. For example in your post the top left photo of the lapping tool is named 112-1292_IMG.jpg as your posted it. I think to put text on the photo you need some kind of special software, but I could be wrong.

Keep the ideas coming. I like them and may have to copy some of them.

Benny

Samuel,
Great pictures, I am glad you got them to post. I like the way you made your indexer. That is very high on
my list for tooling projects..My shaper is a South Bend 7" 5% of what a shaper can do is flat surfaceing. There
is so many things that they will do better than a mill with cheeper cutters and some basic fixtures. You just
have to use your imagination a little more to get there. A lot if these setups have been lost over time as
a shaper is not all that common in shops for the last 40 or 50yrs. You don't see them you don't think about
them--out of sight out of mind-- After you take the step to get and use one, all sorts of ideas start to flow.
I would never part with mine. Ideas for use multiply by square every time I use it. 2-4-8-16-32 ect.

Take Care,
Rick

Samuel
Great pictures and I really like your setups, What is the plate you are using for a table extension>

Paul

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I have a 7" shaper and was wanting an indexer also. Can you give a description of materials, design do's and don'ts, overall thoughts on a novice building one! This is a great shaper thread!!!!,

Thanks

David

Hi David,

Samuel, started a great thread here. I will try to add to it. Anyone see anything that might not sound correct please help me here.
First off, I also have a South Bend 7" shaper. "DON'T" let there small size fool you for a second. They are VERY POWERFUL! This info
comes from a Navy manual I have. Set at a stroke of 1 to 2 inches, just off the center of the bull gear the South Bend 7" shaper is
able to generate over 2000 ft/lb of torque at the ram. Not a typo 2000. That is a lot of thrust to the table. I would think most 7" ones
are the same. That is why the vices are so heavy for there stock size. That figure goes up fast the bigger the shaper. #1 thing to
remember when makeing work holding devices. Table overhang is bad, you can break the table or main gib that supports it. You
can make it longer but you have to always remember the power and take lighter cuts because of it.
I would make all my tooling parts out of steel, only non stressed parts out of aluminum if any. With the thrust of a shaper aluminum
will be like rubber. Cast iron blocks work well, just keep the mass. Anything you make needs to have a solid stop or very heavy
clamp in the direction of thrust. It must also spread the load over most of the table where it is attached. The more solid the smoother
the cut, the less chatter. If it deflects, It will chatter! A lot of mill tooling will break on a shaper if you are not careful with the cuts
you take. If you keep these basic points in mine when you make your fixtures, tooling, devideing head, you will do fine.
When I start my devideing attachment I will get into more detail, but that is a little way's in the future.

Take care,
Rick

Attachments like those for the shaper are a great idea. I'm sure all of the shaper users here will be able to think of other operations that can be done on these versatile machines.

BTW, you can get your photos in order if you post them one at a time using the "Insert Image" button on the middle row of tools when you're composing your post. The photo will appear where you had your cursor when you started the process. Type you text, then drop down a line or two, then attach your photo.
P7310022b.jpg

P7310022b.jpg

Ya I know Mike , when I move pics to a folder the numbers/codes whatever seem to come from the
camara, in which when in the folder some I can right click go to rename BUT this group of pics
a pop up says if I rename I will loose or delete (something) oh well. And Paul, the base was drawn
up laid out on level piece of 3/4 steel and welded or migged up. This is in the Atlas parts book and I
made it a little larger. It is very ridged although due to the tool which some are small so
you need fine cuts. I experiment now a power drive that I mocked up and Im getting around .005 or
so rotation (feed). One pic that I dialed in a MT2 taper why? I just think this should be set and forget
just tending to depth of cut. To bad thats not under power like some big ones. To compare, tapers
made all the time on a lathe but you have to stick with it through out, but on a shaper I think that
would be like a power hack saw take a break. My biggest hurdle is the dial so far I scribled and
numbered my 90*s and 45*s that took longer than the whole project. sam

Round 55 with this Cannon power shot! ?

Last winter we came up with a milling attachment for the shaper. I managed yesterday to retreive only
one photo the rest are in my pc somewhere and I can not find any which were a step by step. Anyway
this was under $5 started out as a 2 1/2" pipe bushing / I turned off internal and external threads.
I chose this die grinder cause it has a lot of power at low rpms. We brazed it cause it is cast iron.
There is a set screw on top to lock into the clapper swivel bolt as well as a 1/2" set screw with a lock nut,
in which I can get about 20* of vertical tram like (caster & camber). My first test was with brass (yikes)
what a mess not the job it does what a yellow shade of pale my shaper was--you got to cover machine
with rags, that was then now using oil, no mess. Now and then in machining a split coller with a set
screw which just cant be drilled, now we just mill the flats, stop, raise the downfeed insert drill and drill
right through and tap. This idea all came about crafsman mower blades with a star only from Sears
and a little expensive. My local hardware down the street has all kinds of blades, none with a star, so
we came up with- sell the customer the blade, send him her to us we will mill the star in 5Min. Just a
quick five bucks. Done quiet a few this summer. Although this isnt a lawnmower shop, we have been
rebuilding steering quadrants which are a total joke, bottom of the steering shaft plastic as well as the
upper shaft to dash plastic. eight grade engineers. enough said then back in the test days, what if
while milling, I started the shaper (ram) what a job that did. Just remember this is all manual, one
hand on downfeed, one hand on pulley (machine off of course) and alternator bracket round ends, just
swing the vise into the mill. This was a nice winter cheap fun project that really works well and it is
very ridged. Oh I needed slotted 1/2 set screws for a bush hog and stuck a cut off wheel in and got
a perfect slot v/s the old days with a hack saw. If I find the pics i will post Sam
ah the power of a shaper

Untitled.jpg

GK1918's Star Hole Maker for the Shaper

Last winter we came up with a milling attachment for the shaper................ This idea all came about crafsman mower blades with a star only from Sears and a little expensive. My local hardware down the street has all kinds of blades, none with a star, sowe came up with- sell the customer the blade, send him her to us we will mill the star in 5Min. Just a
quick five bucks. Done quiet a few this summer.............ah the power of a shaper

Great idea. Fun project and its pays its way. My projects mostly just cost me. Hope you don't get sued by Sears for out smarting their "sales engineers"!:lmao:

Benny

Back