Shaper down feed problem

Cooped_Up

Registered
Registered
I have an older G&E shaper and the down feed on the head is extremely tight and I cant figure out why, the gib is loose and its still is hard to move, the screw seems to go freely as well. Anyone have any helpful insight on this issue? Thanks

I have a G&E shaper. I don't have an answer, but you may have to tear it down and go exploring for the problem.

I have a G&E shaper. I don't have an answer, but you may have to tear it down and go exploring for the problem.
I have already taken it apart and nothing seems to be wrong, no burs, scratches, dents, or rub marks that I can see

Any issues with the screw or nut? Burrs, swarf, dirt, dings etc..?

I wrote a response asking if there was any galling, swarf, dirt etc. without realizing you already checked for those things. Does the screw and nut move smoothly if you disconnect/remove them from the shaper? Seems to me that would be the most likely issue if everything else looks to be ok.

When you had it out and with no screw installed, try pushing it back and forth by hand. The casting maybe bent or the clearance surfaces are hitting. You could check and see if the gib screws are bent. How about some pictures, on and off the machine.

Last edited:
I wrote a response asking if there was any galling, swarf, dirt etc. without realizing you already checked for those things. Does the screw and nut move smoothly if you disconnect/remove them from the shaper? Seems to me that would be the

most likely issue if everything else looks to be ok.
ill have to check that thanks

Another thing you could do is leave the feed screw end bracket loose and then crank it to the top before tightening the bracket. If it has dowel pins in it, leave them out until it is aligned so the nut is closest to the bracket before tightening. Many times I ream dowel pin holes bigger as the bracket won't be in the original location.

I discovered from the manuals below the crosslide doesn't have a bracket.

Last edited:
Back