Shaper Stand Ideas

craniac

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm a new shaper owner, of a South Bend 7".

The pic attached is how it sat when I when found. As you can see no stand. Any suggestions on what it suitable? I'd love to have the original South Bend Stand, but not holding my breath and want to get it working. The manual suggest bolting the shaper to the floor and leveling. Is leveling the shaper the same as with with a lathe?

Tim

Shaper as found.jpg

Leveling a shaper is not so critical as with a lathe, bolting the stand to the floor is a good idea due to the reciprocating shaper ram, it could walk around on the floor otherwise. A stand made with 1 1/2" square tube with diagonal braces would serve.

Mine came on an old teletype stand. All my machines are on castors except my lathe. I added some machine stops I had acquired to stop the shaper rumba. It didnt exactly walk around but it moved back and forth. The stops stopped that and are easily deployed and retracted. Ultimately I plan on redoing the stand and putting it on a combo cart and three drawer file cab I’ve put my other machines on. I’ve made a lot of tooling and accessories for my shaper and it would be nice to have them all under the shaper like all my other work stations.

Attachments

• 630C05A9-7788-4FD6-98C7-E14064C75E22.jpeg
    630C05A9-7788-4FD6-98C7-E14064C75E22.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 211
I would turn the vise 90 degrees that way if it jams the work will be pushed out and will not break the pinion or bull gear or anything else.

My 10" Lewis came with this stand. The top deck is actually solid wood, about 3" thick. The metalwork is 2" angle. Never had any trouble with it walking around. I added a plywood shelf on the lower frame.
P7310020b.jpg

That's almost the way my AMMCO came.
AMMCO_shaper_001.jpg

I found a picture of the original factory stand and sorta copied it with a few of my modifications/improvements.
My fake cabinet.JPGNice Cabinet.JPG

Also put wheels on one end so it can be moved.
Aaron

When I got mine it came with this welded square tube stand. I have since added wooden drawers. It has adjustable leveling feet with rubber pads. I haven't had any problems with it walking around.

Attachments

• IMG_2940.JPG
    IMG_2940.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 201
Last edited:
When I got mine it came with this welded square tube stand. I have since added wooden drawers. It has adjustable leveling feet with rubber pads. I haven't had any problems with it walking around.
This is what I'm leaning toward, but maybe with casters, or some provision to move it, I have small shop syndrome. Is that a stainless top?

Tim

This is what I'm leaning toward, but maybe with casters, or some provision to move it, I have small shop syndrome. Is that a stainless top?

I would think casters would only work if they could be retracted or stationary legs extended, otherwise the machine will be walking around the shop. It's not stainless, just galvanized sheet metal over plywood, this was done by the previous owner (who did a nice job).

Back