Shaper vise question

Harlech

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am considering buying a shaper in the future. I see a lot of ads in Ebay for shapers without the vise. Do shapers have a specific type of vise or would a milling vise of the appropriate size make and OK substitute? It may be a boneheaded question, but I am a bonehead, so there you go.

Shapers without vises are worth considerably less that those with vises; the main thing with shaper vises is that generally, they have a swivel base and are relatively low profile and wide jaw width and opening and are of relatively heavy proportions. Most shaper work is done with fairly heavy cuts, so unlike drill press work or most milling operations, the shaper vise needs to get a firm grip on the work without distorting.

The sad thing is even though the shaper "should" be worth less, it's often not discounted like it should be. A shaper vise is not like a typical mill vise in that it's often more squat. This helps with Z clearance which is always at a premium. It's often hard to find the original vise that came with the shaper and if you do find it, it can cost big $$$. A crazy example of this is how Atlas shaper vises are often in the $4-500 range.

The sad thing is even though the shaper "should" be worth less, it's often not discounted like it should be. A shaper vise is not like a typical mill vise in that it's often more squat. This helps with Z clearance which is always at a premium. It's often hard to find the original vise that came with the shaper and if you do find it, it can cost big $$$. A crazy example of this is how Atlas shaper vises are often in the $4-500 range.
Another crazy thing is that Atlas shapers are worth such outrageous prices, when they tend to be the poorest examples of small shapers compared to other brands, South Bend and Amco are much better designed and constructed, and BTW, small shapers such as those are quite limited so far as their usefulness is concerned, compared to nearly any and all machine tools. I was told that their main purpose back in the day (war years) was to train people to learn basic shaper work and prepare them for full size shaper work.

Shaper vises as pointed out are big and heavy. Usually they also have an asymmetric jaw set to allow for vertical placement of long parts sticking past the table. Small shapers could use a mill vise I suppose, but the big ones need a proper matching vise. This is the vise off my 24” Cincinnati

EE68DC2F-5F6C-447D-B5CB-2FF86DE67C94.jpeg

A shaper without it's vise is like buying a car with no engine. Pretty worthless in my opinion.

Shaper vises as pointed out are big and heavy. Usually they also have an asymmetric jaw set to allow for vertical placement of long parts sticking past the table. Small shapers could use a mill vise I suppose, but the big ones need a proper matching vise. This is the vise off my 24” Cincinnati

View attachment 440636
OK, I just threw my back out, gave myself a hernia and my right pinkie toe got shot off just looking at this picture. Holy hell, who helps put that thing on your machine... King Kong?! LOL

OK, I just threw my back out, gave myself a hernia and my right pinkie toe got shot off just looking at this picture. Holy hell, who helps put that thing on your machine... King Kong?! LOL

The vise on my Smith & Mills 21" shaper weighs well over 300 pounds. I suspect that GT-6's vise is a fuzz heavier than mine. I used an engine hoist to set it on the shaper.

It's heavy... but stout.

-Bear

I have never had the proper vise for my 16" Cinci. I use a 225# B&S mill vise that's seen some hard use, probably in a school shop, but it has worked well for the stuff I do. I'd love a real shaper vise, but at this point I don't think it would really add much value other than 'proper' aesthetics.

This might be a good time and place to mention that I have a 7" Ammco in great condition with cabinet and original vise that could be had for a fair price. The limiting factor may be that I'm in Upper Michigan :)
Aaron

Back