SHARP LMV

Old96er

Registered
Registered
I am going to pick this mill up and I plan to use some 4x4x1/4" angle iron and some wood 4x4's to make a "pallet" for it. It will be lifted off the ground and I can bolt to the bottom of it.

So plan is to put the angle in blue and bolt that to the mill base, and then the 4x4 in red are bolted to that. The drawing from the manual has the bolt centers and I assume they are accurate.

My question is about bolt size to go through the angle and base, how tall is the base, looks to me like I need 5/8"x5" bolts (the yellow dots)?

I plan to use some bigger bolts that will be counter-bored from the bottom of the 4x4 in green. Then after I have it where I want it, I will remove the 4x4 re-use the angle and add adjustable feet (similar to the David Best PM935). At least that is the current plan.

base.PNGbase2.PNG

Last edited:
Base is 5 1/2" tall so probably need a 6" bolt, the digital (VFD) model the bolt hole under the VFD cabinet is hard to access, I used a stud mounted to my base and then added a washer and nut once the mill was lowered onto the stud.

Thanks Mark, helpful as always! How big is the hole, is 5/8 an easy fit or should I go 9/16 on the bolts?

To finish this out, the holes are about .690", given the 1/4" thick angle and a few washers, I ended up with 7" long bolts though the mill. I counter-bored the bottom of the 4x4 so the bolt head was flush and used 5 1/2" bolts there. Using a drop trailer and pallet jack made for a drama free move.
1710194147006.png

Oh and the 4x4 was a 10ft'er Home Depot cut it for free, ~$15. The angle was 8' cut in half from my local metal supply. Probably could have gotten away with just the 4x4's bolted directly but I wanted an extra stable base for transport and expect to reuse the angle for the stand anyway.

Back