Sharp Mill

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anybody ever run a TMV-1?
Impressions?

I have the LMV, the TMV is a larger heavier (3300 lbs) variant that is more modeled off of the Lagun FTV style with heavier box ways. The Sharp mills are well built, but parts can be expensive if you need to repair or replace anything. The TMV-1 is indicated as a 5HP with a #40 spindle. I haven't specifically used a TMV but very happy with the LMV, and also have milled with the Lagun FTV-2 and it was a very rigid mill and could hold close tolerance work on either mill.

Tom from Acra said his LCTM-2 is exactly the same as the TMV-1. Not sure if I believe it is exactly the same.
Does anyone know if Sharp is an actual manufacturer or a reseller like Acra is.

They both source from the same factory and just brand it differently. I checked this out carefully when I purchased my LCM-42 which is the same as the LMV-42. Same in every detail on mine, including the manufactures badge. On the TMV-1 it looks like there is an updated head, so would check if this applies to the LCTM-2. They all seem to use generic pictures for the Acra for both the LCM and LCTM. I tend to believe Tom, I purchased my mill from him and also went through this on a larger Sunmaster Lathe purchase for another person that had a different model number, but was exactly the same. Similar to many import distributors they brand them differently and may have some specific build criteria. He probably has a few in his warehouse which is huge, have him send you some photos.

The only reason I question it is he has deeply discounted the machine. Pretty sure they are both made by First (Long Chang) but I need to make sure that they are finished exactly the same. I see some discrepancies on the weight. I'll dig into this a little deeper. Thanks Mark.

I did check that on mine, see attached manufacturing plate. It is possible that there might be some slight differences, but I couldn't find any when I purchased mine. There are differences in weight/specs. based on the model and specs and the brochure one reads. The machines made by First (Long Chan), I have not found any better castings/finished mills in the comparison to others that I have used. Even the interiors are finished with no grit and smooth painted surfaces. There may be other things such as warranty/support, but in the past Tom has taken care of any issues.
20200913_131001.jpg

Looks like a nice machine for the price....

John

I’ll second mksj. On his recommendation, I purchased the LCM-42 from Tom. The process went smoothly, and I have zero complaints about the quality. The fit & finish are excellent, and it’s a pleasure to use.

I’m guessing in the next 2 years....we are going to be seeing some very good deals out there. It will be a buyers world. If you have cash, you’re going to be able to buy almost anything you want at deep discounts.
Don’t kid yourself. The stock market is up....but the economy sucks. I’m seeing a lot of deep discounts already and one can tell by the adds that the person just Needs to sell it. Everything from properties, businesses, to tools. When something as huge as the restaurant industry and all tourism Industry is dead....add to that the airline industry....trust me....things are going to get worse before they get better. People have expenses and mortgages. Companies are losing money. Hell, I heard just yesterday, the St Charles Streetcars are cutting back on their schedules. Those damned streetcars were packed every morning for 5 days a week. Now they are empty. Ridership is less than 10% of what it was a year ago. There’s a trickledown affect to all of these things. The bills and expenses don’t just disappear.

I was able to find one difference. The quill diameter on the Acra is 90mm and 110mm on the SHARP.

Back