Sharpening inserts

I think we're now in the realm of personal preference and orientation to the craft. I moved to indexable tooling exclusively on the lathe because I do not like grinding or sharpening tools. To me, sharpening inserts is antithetical to the purpose of having indexable tooling to begin with. If you know how to properly designate an insert, they are available with exceptionally sharp and positive rake geometry if that's what you need. Plus, I get whatever itch I have for sharpening tools well scratched in honing chisels and plane irons for my woodworking activities.

That said, I totally respect and even marvel at the patience of those who like to sharpen tooling - it's just not my thing.

I’ll start by saying that I have not yet even received my lathe delivery, complete metal lathe novice here.

I am going to echo what David said. That is that as a wood worker I already sharpen hand planes, chisels, jointer blades and planer blades. I have the tooling to do these things. However at least at the moment I am not interested in more tooling for dealing with HSS tool sharpening. I know that some of my woodworking sharpening tools will sharpen HSS blanks as well.

I will be doing limited HSS blank sharpening, but not for metal turning at this time but for wood turning on the metal lathe. I suspect that edge quality will be far less critical for wood turning than for metal turning.

This subject reminds me of a book that my wife has titled Buy The Butter, Bake The Bread. There are things that, dependent on each individuals needs and means, fall on one side or the other of what is practical, expedient or cost effective.

Spot on. Taken to extreme, we could be pouring our own castings for the lathe from iron ore we mine in Wyoming.

Where do I sign up? And what’s the pay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back