Sharps Build

Cuzzun_itt

Active User
Registered
Ok the Sharps Build is going to be a big job. I just hope I don't loose interest befor I get done, thats my biggest fear.
On top of that dimensions are hard to find and I think there are a bunch missing all together.
All I know to do is make it the best I can to print and make the the parts that don't fit make them to fit.

Almost ready to start machining. Probly still a week or so away tho. Receiver material si still up in the air. I have 4340 pre-HT
and 4140 but no 8620. I'm leary of the 4340 because I've found cracks after the pre-heat treat process. It would really be a bummer to find the crack you couldn't see the first time you shot it.

I'll post some pictures when I get started.

Itt

Ok the Sharps Build is going to be a big job. I just hope I don't loose interest befor I get done, thats my biggest fear.
On top of that dimensions are hard to find and I think there are a bunch missing all together.
All I know to do is make it the best I can to print and make the the parts that don't fit make them to fit.

Almost ready to start machining. Probly still a week or so away tho. Receiver material si still up in the air. I have 4340 pre-HT
and 4140 but no 8620. I'm leary of the 4340 because I've found cracks after the pre-heat treat process. It would really be a bummer to find the crack you couldn't see the first time you shot it.

I'll post some pictures when I get started.

Itt
:))

I will be watching for your build

:))

I will be watching for your build

Thanks I can't wait to have something to post. I did have a minor setback yesterday. Well it was pretty big considering I haven't made a chip yet. Had a paying job so I wanted to get some of it done. My nephew was with me at the shop and wanted to see what I had done on the receiver in Gibbs so I opened the solid model I had been drawing off and on for 2 weeks and is was GONE!! Don't know where it went but it ain't there anymore. I got an error when I tried to open it and the file size was zero. Oh well back to the drawing board. It's going better now anyway. I didn't like the way the solid model was coming out. This forced me to do it better. I still think I can start cutting chips by this weekend.

Wish Me Luck

Thanks

Itt

Are you doing this build from available prints. If so can you post the source here. I would like to get a set to follow along. Two heads are better that one when things are missing on the prints. This should turn out to be a closely followed thread by many of our members.

"Billy G"

Are you doing this build from available prints. If so can you post the source here. I would like to get a set to follow along. Two heads are better that one when things are missing on the prints. This should turn out to be a closely followed thread by many of our members.

"Billy G"

Me also for prints.:man:

You can get a set from American Single Shot Rifle Assoiation. ASSRA's are $10.00 and I think are 11" x 17". You have to send a check via snail mail.
I can't rember the last time I actually mailed a check.

I bought mine from Ebay. I think it was about 60 bucks with shipping. The Ebay prints are 1" to 1" prints. It is kind'a handy, you can break out a ruler
and get within a 64th on a measurment. Well, I can when I have my glasses on.

Itt

I've been building a Sharps Borchardt Action, all I have in the way of tooling at home is an X2 Mini Mill and a 7 x 12 lathe. Age is slowing me down a tad and winter induced Arthritis doesn't help. Still I do what I can. See :- http://s89.beta.photobucket.com/use...ibrary/?&_suid=136036122359508051370525013521

Ignore the Sabre tooth Squirrel and the Grouse moor photographs look for the engineering pictures from springs to the action body and parts.
I don't know who is going to get the job done first, me or the grim reaper. lol.

Harry

That's very nice work, Harry. And I loved the sabre toothed squirrel.

Tom

That's very nice work, Harry. And I loved the sabre toothed squirrel.

Tom

Thank you kindly Tom, the Sabre Toothed Squirrel isn't often seen, and even more rarely photographed, we breed our varmints hard here in the north.

Harry

Very nice work, I hope I can do as well
I've been building a Sharps Borchardt Action, all I have in the way of tooling at home is an X2 Mini Mill and a 7 x 12 lathe. Age is slowing me down a tad and winter induced Arthritis doesn't help. Still I do what I can. See :- http://s89.beta.photobucket.com/use...ibrary/?&_suid=136036122359508051370525013521

Ignore the Sabre tooth Squirrel and the Grouse moor photographs look for the engineering pictures from springs to the action body and parts.
I don't know who is going to get the job done first, me or the grim reaper. lol.

Harry

Verrrry Nice work, I hope to do as well.

Itt

Back