Sharps Build

Well I needed some motivation to work on the Sharps Project. I brought home a copy of Quigley Down Under. It got me going again. I got the receiver solid model finished. Then I got the trigger plate and lock plate done. After hearing about dimension issues I decided to start putting the solid models together. The first thing I did was the lockplate to the receiver. The best I can tell, the screw that comes thru the receiver from the left side and threads into the lockplate is off about a half a diameter. I don't know if I should the holes(notice plural) in the lock plate or the hole (single ) in the receiver. The holes in question are on the lockplate 3 in a row just forward of the hammer hinge. I'm Stumped.

Itt

Any gun shows in your area? Sometimes the only solution is a peek at the real thing.

Tom

Any gun shows in your area? Sometimes the only solution is a peek at the real thing.

Tom

There seem to be quite a few I think I've been to 3 or 4 since Christmas. You can't find 22LR or .223 ammo anywhere else around here.
Any way I've found a few 1874's and I looked pretty close a one on Sunday but could not tell which hole was in the wrong place. I'm almost to the point of buying one to take apart and measure. I looked at a Quigley $1300.00 and a Carbine with a saddle ring $900.00 more than I really want to spend on a pattern. Plus I'd have to sneak it past my wife. A couple a hundred bucks is no big deal but I might get my hand slapped on a grand or more.

Itt

I know what you mean by the cost of "patterns". Building an 1873 Colt Peacemaker has always been on my project list, but there are absolutely no drawings available and even the worst example of a real one would cost thousands of dollars.

Tom

Well I can't stand it any more. I have some time today. If I don't do anthing else I'm going to make a few screws and
maybe the lock plate. Pictures to follow.

Itt

I know what you mean by the cost of "patterns". Building an 1873 Colt Peacemaker has always been on my project list, but there are absolutely no drawings available and even the worst example of a real one would cost thousands of dollars.

Tom

Tom,

If you can, get a hold of a copy of "The Colt Single Action Revolvers, A Shop Manual, Volumes 1 & 2" by Jerry Kuhnhausen. It doesn't contain the blue prints for the Peacemaker but it contains very detailed drawings with dimensions of the major components. It refers to them as "dimensional inspections". The book goes in to great detail of the particular metals used, hardening, and finishing. If you are interested in the Colt I think you'd find it worthwhile.

-Ron

Thanks Ron.

I have his books on the 1911, but didn't realize he also wrote one on the Colt single action. I hesitate to check it out because the last thing I need right now is another project. Maybe I'll add it to my Christmas list. :thinking:

Tom

HI Itt and All, I have a couple 1874 Sharps. So I have direct example's of what might interist anyone that wants to build one as far as dimentions go. I have 1 original made in December 1876- shipped 14 January 1877 to the "B Kitterich and Company, Cincinnati Ohio" They were sold by the pound and then what you had them equipped with. This one is: 13-1/2 pound with barrel ladder sights, 30" 1-1/8 octagon barrel, 40cal 2-1/4 Sharps bottle neck rechambered to 2-7/8 straight. Also called 40-85 Sharps straight. It is NRA antique 80% It is in perfect shootable condition. The other one is a UBERTI 45/70 or 45-2.1 with 30" 1/2 octagon 1/2 round barrel. It is made by Pedersoli for Uberti. Now here is where you WILL run into problems getting dementions off of examples. Every make is different but 2. The only one that is true to the original is the one made by SHILOH. And from the Montana factory only. The ones they made on the east coast are completely different. That was one of the reasons they split off from C.Sharps and moved to Montana. I have this information from Kirk & Lucinda at Shiloh. There rifles are the only ones true to the originals. You need parts for a original there's fit. The Pedersoli/ Uberti seem to be the closest but every dimention from receiver to fireing pin is just a little different. Armi-sports are even farther off. The original east coast early C,Sharps/Shiloh that I compared to my original were even farther off, not even main receiver size was the same. So your print's need to have all there parts from 1 rifle from 1 company. Shiloh built there first rifle in Montana piece for piece from an original like mine so every dimention is the same. From what I understand there 1st east coast rifle from the early 70s was built from pictures with no dimentions. And they did a very good job doing it. We have to thank them for starting to bring these great rifles back. I hope this helps with the reason for parts not fitting. Your print's just might be drawn from a pile of miss matched parts from the different manufactures. As far as how strong the 1874 action is, all current ones are SAMMI spec. In 45/70 with a case diameter of .504 at 28,000psi. Factory 45/70 load pressure. If I can help with measurements I will do what I can but you have to understand I will not take the original apart as it is priceless. A past owner polished on it, and because of that I ended up getting it from him when he realised what he had done. And everyone tried to steel it from him to make a buck. I consider myself as custodian in this time period of it's history, to preserve it for future generations. The past owner felt that about me and that is the only reason he passed it to me. TAKE CARE, Rick

Nitro, That's a pretty neat piece of Sharps history.

So far I've only made a few screws and the tumbler. Course, I'm making 2 or three of everything.
I'm making a solid model of all the parts and assembling them as I draw them.
That way they will fit my stuff. Anyway I don't have enought stuff to show yet.
When I have something worth showing I'll post them.

Itt

On the other hand, if you intend to use smokeless powder in the rifle, you had better possess the necessary engineering knowledge and skills to determine if the action is strong enough to withstand the pressures of the cartridge you intend to use. Otherwise you'll just be building a bomb set to go off in your face. The book "Building a Single-Shot, Falling-Block Rifle Action" by Walter Mueller covers these exercises in great detail, you may want to take a look at it.

Tom
I have had three blackpowder singleshots to blow up, and a 38 Long Colt blew up with a 357 Magnum cartridge in it by mistake. Yep, done that.

Back