Shars 7" Diamond wheel ID too tight.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Quick question,
I received a new Sopko adapter from McMaster for the 7" Shars diamond wheel.
The ID of the aluminum wheel is 1.246".
The adapter measures in at 1.250"
Do you think I could chuck up the wheel and grab it by the hard material? I would place copper shims so I don't touch the material.
Very little to come off.
Or, I could clamp it to 123 blocks and bore it on the mill.

The lathe would be a snap.
I'd rather have it too tight than too loose :)

Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• shars.jpg
    shars.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 19
Having it a bit loose may be better, so as to be able to zero it in after mounting. Ask Bob K about it.

I saw a video on mounting the adapter a bit loose, mount it on the spindle and index it or center it, then tighten the adapter and never take it off.
Sounds like a plan. I don't know how much to allow for, "a bit loose". .005" ?? .003" ??

Removed about .005” and mounted the wheel.
Got it dialed in. I was able to remove the pattern on the wheel. Solid Rock Machine had a great way of burning in the wheel.
They use low carbon steel to ready the wheel for use. ( Truing and dressing CBN wheel)

CBN is not diamond, it is cubic boron nitride, but if it worked, I guess that is OK

Jeff, those Shars wheels can come to you with various problems. I have seen several problems people have had, but I was lucky with the one I got, "just" .001" runout. If you are not lucky, send it back for an exchange until you get a good one. Why take a chance on ruining a defective part? Send it back, and tell them why you are unhappy. The wheel you got is simply out of tolerance, get a good one...

After all the work I put into making it acceptable?
Maybe.
I haven’t measured the runout yet but I have a hunch it’s pretty good.
If not, I’ll take your advice.
Thanks,

Back