Shars and Grizzly, Grrr...

Man, did I open a hornet's nest.

I appreciate those who posted with good intentions in trying to help me. I also respect those who posted to defend Shars. You folks made the bulk of this thread. I don't appreciate the unfounded personal attacks from one or two. You folks don't know me at all. I don't understand who it benefits from your personal chiding... unless it was good for you.

To those that defended Shars, except for the catalog, I never said one bad thing about the company. In fact I was mostly flattering. In the conclusion of my post I only mused why any company would drive away a fish (as I was then). They would have made the shipping back the next order because I actually liked their products.

To those who were trying to help by telling me I should measure; I did, and I included those measurements in my last post. The critical distance of the Shars is more than the Grizzly holder measures and the tool post is less than both. From the published and measured distances, it should fit. Dabbler showed where it doesn't fit and to woodchucker, that post was his follow-up: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shars-and-grizzly-grrr.106579/page-2 - sorry I did not reply to you sooner - there seemed to be a dust-up going on.

Oh, I don't use other company's return policies to fit my parts. I've made some mistakes and chucked it up to learning - that is part of the gig, right?

Cheers.
John
I will say this and they'll likely throw stones at me also; but I have purchased Accusize tool holders off amazon and found them to work okay.

I have some Accusize pieces that were pricey, but they seem quality. Yes, I got them all from Amazon.

I have some Accusize pieces that were pricey, but they seem quality. Yes, I got them all from Amazon. I bought 1 toolhoder last night. They had the same high spots under the dovetail as the Shars pieces so I got cold feet but went for it anyway.

Sometimes things get lost in translation.

IMG_2956.jpeg

Lots of useful info in here for setting up and sizing tool posts. Dimensional and compatibility info are included. I'm not talking smack or taking digs on any brand or distributor, this is simply good technical information that anyone can use. I found this catalog highly useful, even though I don't own any Dorian tool post kit.

They went and combined a turret toolpost and a quick change toolpost into one unit.

Not even sure how I feel about this...

Am coming back after having been away for a few days.
And realizing how important it is to Not give a different opinion or worse yet, show any disapproval since all it does is cause angst and hurt feelings here.
Whether or not you all saw it that way, I did post my opinions because I thought they would help this community.
But, I guess they didn't.
C'est la vie...

They have subsidized their manufacturing in a purposful attempt to flood our country with cheap, ill fitting goods and tools - to the detriment of our own manufacturing base.
Im with you up until this point.

American business did this, not the Chinese I witnessed this first hand.

I have been in manufacturing for 37 years and counting and I cant stress this enough.

There is something you're missing though, the benefit of the low cost of these goods allowing more people to afford to set up and run small shops or home shops. Lets say aside from buying the machinery and building someone needs to spend 25K for tooling buying from non communist sources. The Chinese arent actually communist at this point, but thats a different discussion.

That guy can spend that money on legit tooling, or he can get similar quality buying from a sketchy source and save 10K and use that to better his chances of growing and or maintaining his business.

For the home shop guy this is of an even greater importance. The benefit there is learned skill and the ability to possibly get into a trade, to be able to tinker in his spare time and do something useful rather than vegetate.(Face it, Hollywood is not our friend either.) I think the value of getting a young guy off his ass, out from in front of the game console and doing something meaningful and creative should not be over looked.

Even if it feeds the beast.

And last, if you're going to have an opinion on the internet you better have it wrapped in thick skin.;)

Last edited:
My Accusize 250-202 Boring bar holder came in from Amazon and it fits the tool post perfectly. I bought a no name 250-207 parting tool at the same time and it too slid into the dovetail nicer than the stock 202-201s that came with the unit.

For those who run into a similar problem, as others have stated, measure your post. If it is correct, then try a different manufacturer. Problem solved!

Cheers,
John

John,
My Accusize 250-202 Boring bar holder came in from Amazon and it fits the tool post perfectly. I bought a no name 250-207 parting tool at the same time and it too slid into the dovetail nicer than the stock 202-201s that came with the unit.

For those who run into a similar problem, as others have stated, measure your post. If it is correct, then try a different manufacturer. Problem solved!

Cheers,
John
Damn Yankee
Coul I get the Amazon link to the 250-202 please. I’d like to order a couple for my G0750G

Thanks. Joe

Back