H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys are these worth the investment?It sure looks promising
202-9434Main.jpg

202-9434Main.jpg

202-9434Main.jpg

202-9434Main.jpg

202-9434Main.jpg

202-9434Main.jpg

Being retired from outside sales, I've sold quite a bit of this type of tooling.
1) it is an easy quick change
2) it takes the same style insert
3)there is no additional setting center height for two tools
4) it is a production tool
If the price is right and this could be something to satisfy your needs... go for it.
No, I don't have one as I am running an AXA and I haven't come across one that small.
Toolroom

It uses triangular inserts and will require a tool change between turning and facing operations whereas an 80° diamond shape will do both as well.
CCMT is the shape that you may want to look at.

I BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE AND LIKE IT .

SORT OF A CHEAP VERSION OF THE ALORIS AXA #16

Thanks guys,wreck could you provide an example?I know nothing about tooling or the inserts.

Thanks guys,wreck could you provide an example?I know nothing about tooling or the inserts.
By "tool change assuming the holder pictured" I mean that you would have to turn the tool 90° between turning and facing. A triangular insert will have entirely to much negative lead angle to work well in 2 axes, an 80° will do both well.
Like so
triangleinserts_zpsq50f9lvj.jpg

Wreck,

I run triangles on my lathe. I kick the tool post over about -3 deg. and by doing this I can face off as well as turn all day long. I can get 6 edges to an insert where a 80 deg diamond insert, you only get 4 edges. If I have a lot of heavy facing off to do, I have a left hand tool that I set parallel to the spindle axis to face with. But 99% of the time, I use the triangle to face off with.

Now I see and understand,thank you.

Back