Sheet metal forming books?

WesPete66

Active User
Registered
Amongst my stalled projects right now is to build replacement hoppers for an antique burr mill, and a corn grinder that I am restoring. The hopper for the grinder is a 4-sided assy that tapers in at the bottom. I can see how to build that one. But the burr mill uses a tapered cone or funnel type assy, which has me puzzled. The bottom/base section of it was originally a casting. The lower section of the hopper is a tapered cone, and at the top is a straight cylinder. The two pieces were mechanically joined (not soldered or riveted). As I don't have either hopper to look at, does anyone here know how that joint would have been constructed, as in what are the edge shapes used to create that joint and how to make them? (the pic is I believe an original hopper)

Also, can anyone refer me to any older books about sheet metal forming that I could learn from?

Thanks!

Dempster_Hopper-2.jpg

I have been using this book for 35 years and it covers everything. Now that I see the price I think I'll take better care of it!

Thanks for the headsup on that book! I did a search for it and you are right, it’s anywhere from $100 to $250! Looked on eBay and pretty much the same thing. I happened to look on the completed and there was all kinds of crazy prices but one from a reputable dealer started at $17 auction and nobody bid, doh! Checked back and he’d just relisted for $15 with a best offer, I offered $20(why not?) and just got notice to pay! Total $25 with shipping. Go figgur about the expensive ones.

Looking fwd to getting it and do some learning out of it.

Thanks for the headsup on that book! I did a search for it and you are right, it’s anywhere from $100 to $250! Looked on eBay and pretty much the same thing. I happened to look on the completed and there was all kinds of crazy prices but one from a reputable dealer started at $17 auction and nobody bid, doh! Checked back and he’d just relisted for $15 with a best offer, I offered $20(why not?) and just got notice to pay! Total $25 with shipping. Go figgur about the expensive ones.

Looking fwd to getting it and do some learning out of it.
It has been an Ace in the hole many times over the years. I think I paid $25 in the late 80's, you scored!

Wow, by pure dumb luck. It often happens on ebay. I don't know why the herd goes crazy over one thing and not another. I always feel like a Christmas shopper at WallyWorld who suddenly sees just what I'm looking for in the trash left by the mob. It's paperback, and supposedly in good condition. Who knows.

I feel fortunate that many many years ago in High School I had a mechanical drawing course from an outstanding teacher. We spent a lot of time on pattern making, making a three view drawing of a solid model and then developing the pattern for it, cutting it out and taping it up. It was fun and even more remarkable, I still recall how to do this.

I suppose nothing like this is taught anymore?

I got exposed to mechanical drawing in summer school(do they still have that?) wood shop. Never got hooked on wood shop but took 4yrs of mechanical drawing. I don’t think we ever cut out models but we did the layout and that taught me to think in 3d. Not until 30yrs later when doing fab in an orange packing house did that all get applied. Specifically making complicated chain guards for machines. One machine we got from one of our subsidiaries in Spain came with no chain guards at all. Don’t know if it was because they didn’t require them there or they forgot to send them but some of the guards were quite odd shapes. No problem with sheet steel and a plasma.

I’m hoping to learn more than what I did in high school from this book.

Back