Sheldon 10” lathe parts

Biggee1951

Registered
Registered
New at this, please excuse my inexperience. I recently purchased a 10” Sheldon lathe,well used but I would like to use it at home. I am missing half nut and associated pins.Can anyone help me? Also where can I find model number.

New at this, please excuse my inexperience. I recently purchased a 10” Sheldon lathe,well used but I would like to use it at home. I am missing half nut and associated pins.Can anyone help me? Also where can I find model number.
Have you had any luck coming up with Sheldon parts?

There are some Sheldon Lathe publication reprints at http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=2133&tab=3
If this is the old version of the Sheldon 10 inch, if it is a 20 in working length (38 inch bed) it is a 1020. If it is a 26 inch working length (44 inch bed) it is (I think) a 1026. You can tell these by the three speed lead screw control. Marked A, B, and C. (Actually it is C, A, B) Additionally, the serial number begins with an L and the later models were numbered perhaps as high as L 6xx. The serial number is on the front way on the right end of the bed. I have one of these and the half nut is about to fail.

I doubt you will find a half nut in better condition than the one you have. My plan is to tap a piece of brass stock, cut it down the middle and then machine it as a rebuild using the existing half nut for the basis. I will only do this after the existing half nut is completely useless. It is a once and done thing. My skills are not that great.

I have been fooling with this lathe for about a month and my reaction is that it is worth fixing if you can do most of the work on your own. If you must rely on a machine shop, you are better off selling it for parts and buying a more recent lathe.

Of course, yours may be a later model with which I am not in the least bit familiar.

Check Ebay or the PM forum- there's one or two guys that "re-core" half-nuts, primarily for South Bends but it would be the same process for Sheldon.
Done with brass inserts, as mentioned above.

That's one thing I've learned about Sheldons (I have an 11" army truck lathe), parts are mostly non-obtainium- took over nearly a year to score a steady. South Bends are soooo much easier for parts...

Back