Sheldon lathes

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
So it turns out I really like the look of the few Sheldon lathes kicking around the site right now. Are they really as amazing as they look?

Some are in good shape, and most are worn out. The two I have, well down to one now, I had to recondition/rebuild them from the ground up. They are fairly easy to work on and easy to make parts as needed. But they are like any other lathe. If they were taken care of they last. But if they were abuse and molested, as most are, they become basket cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are good machines, but keep in mind some have had a long and hard life. Additionally since the manufacturer is long gone you're pretty much on your own when it comes to sourcing parts. I have an MW-56-p that was built in late 1959 or early 1960. I was lucky in that the previous owner had rebuilt the entire top section. That included some new gears in the head, new spindle bearings, and grinding the bed and cross slide ways among other things.

A couple months ago I rebuilt the drive section and added a digital tachometer to replace of the missing mechanical one. For all intents and purposes this is a new machine. In this case all the bearings were still available since Sheldon used off the shelf items. The only hitch was that the bearing manufacturer they used is also long out of business. Fortunately I was able to cross reference the bearings to current manufacturers.

If you can find one in reasonable shape and you're patient and persistent when it comes to sourcing parts they will probably last you a lifetime.

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I love mine,drove 12 hrs to get it spend two weeks going thru it and now it does everything I ask it to do,quietly and without a protest, that’s if I do my part correctly, I can honestly say I like my “little” 13 in Sheldon better then my Cincinnati Traytop, even thu the Traytop has a DRO , I’m just more comfortable with it.

Back