Sheldon Xl-56 Spindle Nose

Yep. That was lucky. The collet closer adapters aren'e really common.

GET IN Cody!! wonderful luck, did you find anything else?

Not much else. I had already grabbed a buncha stuff. I do have the steady rest, follower rest, etc.

He actually had two different collet sleeve things. Not sure why he would have made one if he had the original but I'm okay with that. I did find some more milling bits and a humongous dead center while I was there though.No clue why the dead center is so big. I mean it sticks out of the spindle nose a good 4 - 5 inches.

Maybe he made one and later found an original??

Is the dead center just long or long and unusually large diameter?

The dead center is pretty big. I may have exaggerated a little as I was going off memory, lol.

I also found this little thing. I can't figure out what you would do with it. It is a piece of hex bar bored out to accept a 5c collet. It has a knurled ring on the back that threads onto the collet.

2015-03-13 09.43.17.jpg
2015-03-13 09.43.42.jpg
2015-03-13 09.44.11.jpg

that's a 5C collet block, used to mill flats on the stock held in the collet. Gets grabbed in a vice or clamped to the table. Saves breaking out a rotary or indexer for a quick job.

I have a morsco m17 can,t find a manual or a 3 jaw Chuck for it

The proportions (length to diameter) on the dead center seem about right. Just for a larger MT than I at least am used to seeing.

The collet block can also be used if you need a soft grab on a part and either don't have a collet chuck or closer or don't want to remove a 3-jaw and install the collet chuck or closer. I.e., a time saver

Back