Sherline 5400 and 2010 mills

TechyMechy

Registered
Registered
About 15-12 years ago I acquired a Sherline 5400 and 2010 mill that were barely used. I went through the accessories with them and estimate that the total new value from Sherline is about $2800. The 5400 has English and the 2010 has metric screws. Between the two mills and the extra tooling, I would think that the only thing someone would want was a boring head and some boring bars.

I never used the machines and I'm thinking I should get them to someone who can use them. I might play with them and keep one, but I need to decide if it is worth it. My shop is pretty full now and I have a Hardinge TM mill with a Bridgeport M head now. I'm not sure I'd ever use the Sherline (I haven't done it for 12 years).

Can you provide a fair market value for these two mills? I think that someone may want both mills for they compliment each other (one being metric/english, one being more flexible set up, but not as rigid, the mills share the same tooling, etc.).

Also, do you have a suggestion for a place to best advertise? I really don't want to go to eBay and have to deal with a 1099.

Last edited:
About 15-12 years ago I acquired a Sherline 5400 and 2010 mill that were barely used. I went through the accessories with them and estimate that the total new value from Sherline is about $2800. The 5400 has English and the 2010 has metric screws. Between the two mills and the extra tooling, I would think that the only thing someone would want was a boring head and some boring bars.

I never used the machines and I'm thinking I should get them to someone who can use them. I might play with them and keep one, but I need to decide if it is worth it. My shop is pretty full now and I have a Hardinge TM mill with a Bridgeport M head now. I'm not sure I'd ever use the Sherline (I haven't done it for 12 years).

Can you provide a fair market value for these two mills? I think that someone may want both mills for they compliment each other (one being metric/english, one being more flexible set up, but not as rigid, the mills share the same tooling, etc.).

Also, do you have a suggestion for a place to best advertise? I really don't want to go to eBay and have to deal with a 1099.
Photos of the machines and collection of bits would be helpful

Photos of the machines and collection of bits would be helpful
As crazy as this sounds, I probably can’t get to the pictures until Sunday.

I’ll have pictures up then.

I’m not sure if I want to ship these. I might just try to list them in the local Craigslist or FB marketplace.

Life is just way too busy.

Since I have a reasonably well tooled Hardinge TM mill, I can’t think of any reason I would want to keep the Sherline’s-can you?

Since I have a reasonably well tooled Hardinge TM mill, I can’t think of any reason I would want to keep the Sherline’s-can you?

Everybody is different, some are fine using a big machine for small work.

Personally my Sherline lathe and mill still get used, despite having bigger machines available. Most of my projects are small, and I find the Sherline machines pleasant to use for small work as they are very quiet, and I feel more comfortable getting in close to see what I am doing on the small work that fits the machines.

As far as price Sherline machines hold their value well. 50% of new is a fairly typical used price for machines, but I see a lot of Sherline and Taig which seem to have no issue selling at 70-80% of new.

As crazy as this sounds, I probably can’t get to the pictures until Sunday.

I’ll have pictures up then.

I’m not sure if I want to ship these. I might just try to list them in the local Craigslist or FB marketplace.

Life is just way too busy.

I have a microMark/MicroLux Micro-Mill clone of the original Sherline Tilt Column Mill that is sitting on the back of one of my benches, unused for probably 10 years. It is fully equipped with Sherline accessories (some of which I use on my LMS 3990 Mini-Mill. It doesn’t take up any useable space and as it may be useful I don’t see any reason to get rid of it. If I were to come into some excess cash and upgrade to a Bench Mill, I’d hold on to the Mini-Mill until I had upgraded the Bench Mill sufficiently and then sell the Mini-Mill off. Even then, the Micro-Mill would probably stay with me.

After all, while Joe Pie does remarkable things with his full size equipment, ClickSpring does equally remarkable things with his Sherlines.

Look for comps on ebay and start from there:

Look for comps on ebay and start from there:
Ya, I’ve been looking at ePay. It cracks me up how people will try to sell used Sherline stuff for more than if you bought it new.

I’m going to have to think about this more.

Do you know if Sherline uses MT1 collets? A guy can buy hardened collets MT1 collets for much less than the Sherline collets but they look different. I think the non Sherline collets are to the MT1 spec. I’m not sure what Sherline is doing .

Ya, I’ve been looking at ePay. It cracks me up how people will try to sell used Sherline stuff for more than if you bought it new.

I’m going to have to think about this more.

Do you know if Sherline uses MT1 collets? A guy can buy hardened collets MT1 collets for much less than the Sherline collets but they look different. I think the non Sherline collets are to the MT1 spec. I’m not sure what Sherline is doing .
Sherline claims that the spindles are MT1, and MT1 tooling that I have purchased from them fits an MT1 arbor I got from RDG (UK) a few years ago. However, I don'y have anything else to compare with it.

I do know that their insert holders do not work with most commercial inserts: the grind on their pockets is just a little different (or maybe to tighter tolerances?) which makes using cheap inserts problematic.

Sherline claims that the spindles are MT1, and MT1 tooling that I have purchased from them fits an MT1 arbor I got from RDG (UK) a few years ago. However, I don'y have anything else to compare with it.

I do know that their insert holders do not work with most commercial inserts: the grind on their pockets is just a little different (or maybe to tighter tolerances?) which makes using cheap inserts problematic.
Thanks,

Even though I will probably sell the mills, I might spend $26 for 5 new hardened collets. I should have collets for both mills.

I need to clean and oil them and take some pictures, etc. Both mills are essentially new.

Back