Sherline chucks

skogkatt007

Registered
Registered
First off let me say I passed up the deal of the century for a (new) Sherline lathe and mill in November. New from the factory, 30% off, shipping was murderous though. I won' t be buying any of their machines as a result, not new anyway. I've determined they're just not for me.

But the 30% sale is still on an also applies to chucks and many other items. So, given I may spring for a Taig lathe at some point, and since it utilizes the same chuck mount, I thought it might be a good idea to spring for a 3.1" 3 jaw and a 3.1" 4 jaw. Total to my door 250$. But I need some input as to whether it's really worth it. I have a bunch of Sanou 3 and 4 jaw chucks I've paid 40$ and under for. 1 was a little over 60$. That's still half what a Sherline chuck would cost. Am I likely to really see a substantial difference with use? I haven't had a chance to do much more then give them a visual once over. No way of knowing if 1 or more may be substantially flawed. And backplates would have to be made.

Is 250$ for a pair of chucks I may need down the road a wise investment? Are they worth it above what I already have?

I forgot to comment on Taig chucks. Whereas the 4 jaw model is pretty cheap and a possibility I suppose, I really want nothing to do with their 3 jaw model with the aluminum jaws. If it worka for you great. I'm going to have to pass though.

Last edited:
I picked up a Taig 4-jaw self-centering chuck a year or two ago for $20 (from Taig): I don’t know if it was a mistake or a special run: has 1”-8 threaded back instead of 3/4”-16. I spent almost as much for an adapter as the chuck cost.

I do have a Sherline 3-jaw that I got ages ago for my Sherline Rotary Table: handy size for my mini-Mill.

. So, given I may spring for a Taig lathe at some point, and since it utilizes the same chuck mount, I thought it might be a good idea to spring for a 3.1" 3 jaw and a 3.1"
Although both lathes have the same pitch thread, the spindle fit on the Taig lathe is longer. So the Sherline chuck does not screw on all the way on a Taig spindle. This can be overcome by making a spacer to fit behind the Sherline chuck. I found this out when I went to mount a Sherline faceplate on the Taig lathe. The Sherline 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks would also require spacers.

I understand your concern about the Taig three jaw chuck, but their 4 jaw chuck seems good to me.
I have both Taig and Sherline lathes and chucks from each manufacturer. I haven't seen the need to swap chucks between manufacturers. However, I do use a Taig ER16 collet mount on my Sherline equipment.

I have a several Sherline chucks. A couple of these were opportunistic purchases but I've used them all. The 2.5" 4 jaw was sold by Sears so it's probably the oldest of the group. The 4 jaw scroll on the right is the newest. The quality seems consistent for all of them. You get what you pay for IMHO.
chucks.jpg

I was wondering about the length of the Taig spindle threads interfering with the scroll chucks. I could not find a spec for it. The older Sherline scrolls only had about 0.5" from the back edge to the back of the jaws. The later chucks have 0.6" depth. The 4 jaw independents only have 0.53" from the back to the threads of the screws for the jaws.

Eric

Although both lathes have the same pitch thread, the spindle fit on the Taig lathe is longer. So the Sherline chuck does not screw on all the way on a Taig spindle. This can be overcome by making a spacer to fit behind the Sherline chuck. I found this out when I went to mount a Sherline faceplate on the Taig lathe. The Sherline 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks would also require spacers.

I understand your concern about the Taig three jaw chuck, but their 4 jaw chuck seems good to me.
I have both Taig and Sherline lathes and chucks from each manufacturer. I haven't seen the need to swap chucks between manufacturers. However, I do use a Taig ER16 collet mount on my Sherline equipment.
LMS sells a "Spacer," basically a narrow washer:

20231216 LMS 1914 Taig Chuck Washer.png

Taig's 4 jaw is about 85$ shipped. A Sherline chuck about 125$. Is it likely to blow my socks off? Sherline, although used for watch repair, isn't manufactured to so called horological standards (like a boley, derbyshire, levin, etc.). Do their chucks make certain tasks significantly less difficult?

Taig's 4 jaw is about 85$ shipped. A Sherline chuck about 125$. Is it likely to blow my socks off? Sherline, although used for watch repair, isn't manufactured to so called horological standards (like a boley, derbyshire, levin, etc.). Do their chucks make certain tasks significantly less difficult?

I have a Taig 4 jaw, for my Taig lathe and Sherline 3 and 4 jaw chucks for my Sherline. I find the Sherline chucks better quality, but the Taig 4 jaw is fine and is quite a bit cheaper. It is a 4 jaw so a bit less critical since you have to dial the work in anyway.

I was really turned off by the fact that you have to finish the Taig 3 jaw chuck yourself. It also looks kind of hokey, almost DIY like. It is significantly cheaper than Sherline 3 jaw though ($80 vs $170), so I get it for people on a tight budget and once you "tune it" to your lathe I'm sure it does the job.

Back