Sherline lathe - holding limits of three jaw chuck

My tool posts were sized specifically for the Sherline lathe. I have not used the Sherline qctp or the OXA from LMS. Aloris and Dorian also make posts to fit a Sherline but you have to be sitting down when you look at their prices.

@Aaron_W has some experience with the OXA, I believe; maybe he can give us his opinions.

My tool posts were sized specifically for the Sherline lathe. I have not used the Sherline qctp or the OXA from LMS. Aloris and Dorian also make posts to fit a Sherline but you have to be sitting down when you look at their prices.

@Aaron_W has some experience with the OXA, I believe; maybe he can give us his opinions.

I have a Little Machine Shop OXA QCTP for my Sherline. It works but is a tad large. It includes a spacer block but LMS recommends removing it when used on a Sherline. OXA is really intended for larger lathes like the 6" Atlas / Craftsman or the 7x12" Mini Lathes. What I've found is when you remove the spacer you run out of adjustment on 1/4" so have to use 3/8" tool bits. Since most of my ground tool bits are 1/4" I ended up placing a 1/8" shim under the tool bit to bring it up. I was planning on making a 1/8" spacer to go under the tool post, but I have found I keep going back to the Sherline rocker tool posts because they just fit better.
It is not just the height, but the OXA is also a much larger block. Not usually an issue, but it can get uncomfortably tight working in close. The rocker tool posts are probably 1/2 to 2/3 the size which gives you more room.

Since I kept finding myself using the rocker tool posts I have bought a few more so I can just leave tooling set up in them. Not as fast as the QC but still easy to swap. I think the OXA is going to end up migrating to my 6" Craftsman once I've got it cleaned up and ready to run.

Thanks for chiming in, Aaron. I've used the rocker tool post for many years and agree that it works well. The rocker does change the rake angles of the tool but since its mostly making them more positive this usually is not a thing. My tool post is from TS Engineering and is sized specifically for the Sherline lathe - too bad they went under.

I have a Little Machine Shop OXA QCTP for my Sherline. It works but is a tad large. It includes a spacer block but LMS recommends removing it when used on a Sherline. OXA is really intended for larger lathes like the 6" Atlas / Craftsman or the 7x12" Mini Lathes. What I've found is when you remove the spacer you run out of adjustment on 1/4" so have to use 3/8" tool bits. Since most of my ground tool bits are 1/4" I ended up placing a 1/8" shim under the tool bit to bring it up. I was planning on making a 1/8" spacer to go under the tool post, but I have found I keep going back to the Sherline rocker tool posts because they just fit better.
It is not just the height, but the OXA is also a much larger block. Not usually an issue, but it can get uncomfortably tight working in close. The rocker tool posts are probably 1/2 to 2/3 the size which gives you more room.

Since I kept finding myself using the rocker tool posts I have bought a few more so I can just leave tooling set up in them. Not as fast as the QC but still easy to swap. I think the OXA is going to end up migrating to my 6" Craftsman once I've got it cleaned up and ready to run.
Thank you for this information. I can see just from the web pictures the size difference, useful to know that it affects things. I think I'll pick up a couple more of the rocker posts and save my big $ for the thing I don't know I need yet (though there seems to be no shortage of things to drop a buck on).

Thank you for this information. I can see just from the web pictures the size difference, useful to know that it affects things. I think I'll pick up a couple more of the rocker posts and save my big $ for the thing I don't know I need yet (though there seems to be no shortage of things to drop a buck on).

You can get 4 or 5 of the rocker posts for about the same price as a QCTP. I just started to add one or two to my order when I was buying something else from Sherline.

You can also search for Norton quick change tool post, there are a couple of threads here about making one yourself as well as youtube and other sources of info on them.

I also found these plans online, looks promising and $5 for the plans is quite reasonable.

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/small-quick-change-tool-post-66191

BiggerNoise,

Perhaps all you need for tool holding is a Sherline Two-Position Rocker Tool Post, sku 7603. I holds a 1/4" tool on one side, and 3/8" tool on the other side.

Someone ground a good set of HSS tools for me. The tools are 3/8" size.

I have an Aloris MA tool post and three holders (MA-SET). I purchased the set during a 20% off sale that Aloris had during the COVID pandemic shudown. In the long term I might be better off having it, but in the short term it added to the learning curve/cliff, added to the things to do (make/modify a t-post), and increased my number of options. Here is a example of how the tool post added options: Each regular holder (MA-3) can hold two tools in any combination of the 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8" sizes -- if the tools are short (half-length). Otherwise, each regular holder can hold one tool.

My Sherline Lathe Tool Height Gauge is too short on my lathe. After setting tool height using it, facing a piece leaves a cylidrical pip at the center.

Karl A

Thanks for the tip on the dual sided holders. I think I'll probably work that way until I gather the courage to try the project that Aaron linked to.

My TS Engineering tool post is similar to the one Aaron linked to except that it pulls the tool holder into the post instead of using a pin to push it away. Very solid and repeatable. Too bad you can't get them anymore.

Maybe one day I will take it apart, measure it and post the dimensions. It is anodized but is otherwise made of aluminum and should be duplicatable.

Here's a statement from the web page that Aaron linked to, for plans to a homemade quick-change tool post: "This design is based loosely on the Hardinge quick change tool post and uses a wedge against the dovetail to lock the tool holder."

With my Aloris MA tool post, the dove tail is on the tool post, not on the tool holder. One side of the dove tail is a separate part; it rises as one turns the tightening screw. As it rises, it widens the dove tail. By widening, the, the dove tail locks the tool holder.

Here is a link to a photo of the Aloris MA post.
https://www.aloris.com/image/cache/catalog/MA-1000x1000.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed reply, I did send you a PM for a tooling contact.

It's good to know that the strings aren't necessarily a sign of doing things wrong.

One question on tool holders:

The height adjustment is a little wonky on the stock tool posts. I have seen that with the quick change sets available from Sherline and Little Machine Shop, the holders have screws that should enable a much more careful setting of height. Any experience with any of these? Or best to just stick to the stock posts?

Back