Sherline lathe motor question

fcs

Registered
Registered
This is a question about something that is unimportant but puzzles me. Maybe someone knows the inner workings of the Sherline DC motor and can explain it to me.

I installed a reversing switch on my lathe motor, following the directions on the Sherline website. Basically a DPDT switch that reverses the polarity of the DC current to the motor. Works fine, I do quite a lot of tap and die threading on the lathe. I hold round aluminum stock in an ER collet and do the forward threading by hand, turning the collet chuck with my hand. Sometimes I use the motor in reverse to back the tap or die off for clearing chips from a blind hole or inspecting the external threads. Saves backing off by hand turning the collet chuck in reverse.

What I've experienced is this. If the motor's power switch is off, and the forward/reverse switch is in the forward position, the headstock (collet chuck) is easy to rotate in the forward position but noticably harder to turn by hand in the reverse position. If the switch is in reverse, its the opposite. I thought that maybe something was energized even with the power switch off so I unplugged the lathe. Same relationship. If I rotate the chuck in either direction and I flip the switch back and forth between forward and reverse it follows the same pattern. Maybe there is a charged capacitor flipping something? I let the lathe sit unplugged for 3 days and it still shows the same pattern.

A DC motor is also a DC generator when reversed, if it is switched to absorb the current generated, it will feel draggy as a result.
I knew that fact in theory but never experienced it in the real world. Makes perfect sense. Thanks a bunch!

I knew that fact in theory but never experienced it in the real world. Makes perfect sense. Thanks a bunch!
So interesting!
I went out to the garage and checked my Sherline lathe motor which also has the reversing switch. Sure enough, turning it by hand produced the same results that you described.

There must be a diode across the motor output, ahead of the reversing switch- probably as part of a protection circuit
Otherwise it would turn freely in either direction with motor leads open, or draggy in both directions with leads shorted

Last edited:
A DC motor/generator should have no drag with an open circuit. Given your symptoms, I would go along with @markba633csi .
A diode would probably by used to suppress flyback voltage as the commutator moves from one contact to the next. This is done to reduce electrical noise or transients which might affect sensitive electronics like a DRO or ELS or a motor speed control.

If you replace the switch with a dpdt switch with center off, you will remove the diode from the circuit in the off position and the spindle should turn freely.

Some additional information and observations.

I checked my other Sherline motors. One on a lathe and another one on a mill.
The two that have no reversing switch installed have a similar behavior as detailed by OP. The motor turns easily in the forward direction and has resistance in if turned the opposite direction.

Just checked, the Sherline speed control is a standard KB unit, so it does have a flyback diode

Attachments

• dc_wiring_2020.pdf
    328.9 KB · Views: 9
Back