Sherline Thread Cutting Attachment Slipping

I had the same problems when my threading attachment was new. Found that putting some oil onto the gears and 'excercising' them seemed to clear off the burrs and make the teeth slide properly. Also, make sure the gibs are not to tight - the gears will tend to disengage at spots where the carriage drags on the ways.

I suspect things have changed in the quality control dept. at Sherline since Joe died. I never had an issue with having to break in a gear or having them jump out of engagement or lock up or anything other than work right. Too bad.

When you set up your gear train, be sure to slip a piece of paper between the gears before you lock it down, then pull the paper out. This gives you the ~0.003" clearance you require. Use lubrication sparingly to avoid a mess; almost any oil will do for this and I usually use a single drop of oil to lube the whole train.

I thought I would tell you guys how I stage my threading passes - might help. My first pass is a 0.001" deep scratch pass, then check with a thread pitch gauge to be sure the pattern is right. If it is, then I take 0.002" deep cuts until I reach a total depth of 0.010". From this point on, I take only 0.001" deep cuts until I am very close to being done. On every fourth pass or so I make a pass without adjusting the depth of cut; this is a spring pass. This spring pass helps to be sure both flanks of the thread are even because there is a lot of flank contact with the tool and defection can be an issue on thinner work pieces.

I always calculate an estimate of total thread depth so I know when to start checking for fits. I use the formula from Darrell Holland: .750/TPI = approximate thread depth. I start checking for fits about 0.005" before I hit the calculated depth. Early on, I used the nut I was trying to fit but it is better to use either the three wire method or a thread micrometer - much more precise. Estimating your total depth of cut for metric threads can be a major pain because they use pitch, not TPI. To get around that, use the attached chart from Newman Tools to convert the pitch to TPI and plug it into the Holland formula above.

Remember that if you need to produce a class 3 fit, your blank must be sized correctly. To do that, I am attaching a chart that will give you all the information you require to cut proper thread fits below. To use the chart, find the thread you're trying to cut, then determine the fit you want - 2a, 3a, whatever. Then for that class of fit, find the major diameter; this will be a range. Turn your work piece so the OD falls inside this range. Then, when you turn the thread, use a thread mic or 3-wire calculation to hit the Pitch Diameter range in the chart. If you get both of these right, your thread will be in the class of fit you chose. If this is not clear, let me know.

With regard to cutting in with the cross slide vs the compound, guys cut with the cross slide every day and many prefer it this way. If your tool geometry is precise and the tool is sharp, this method works every bit as well and cuts perfect threads. Yeah, you're cutting on both flanks of the tool but you're taking very small cuts so it isn't a big deal. Truth be told, when I need to cut a class 3 metric thread I prefer to do it on the Sherline lathe instead of my Emco Super 11 because it is faster and easier, believe it or not.

I have cut many, many threads on the Sherline lathe over the 25+ years I've owned it and most of those threads have been cut to tight tolerances, not because it was necessary but because I can. So can you. I suggest you let go of the idea that cutting with the cross slide is an inferior way to cut threads - in my experience, it is not. If your thread form is a problem, look to your lathe tool or technique instead.

Attachments

• TPI to MM conversion chart1.pdf
    49.3 KB · Views: 7
  • American-Light-Screw-Socket-Thread-Specification-Sheet.pdf
    165.1 KB · Views: 9
thank you so much Mikey. This is really informative. Also thanks much for your article on how to improve a belt sander for use in bit forming. Brilliant.

thank you so much Mikey. This is really informative. Also thanks much for your article on how to improve a belt sander for use in bit forming. Brilliant.

You're welcome. I hope it helps you to become comfortable with the threading attachment. In the beginning, I thought it was a hassle to set up the gearing and turn the work by hand but I've learned that it allows me to cut more threads than any other lathe I've seen and the handwheel allows me to cut into a narrow thread relief without worrying about a crash. Thanks also for the kudos on the belt sander - works good for me!

Part of this morning was spent (well, invested in) running in the various gears for the threading attachment, Virtually every fresh gear would cause the idler to come out of engagement, generally on the back-up move. It didn't take much more than cranking the carriage out a foot or so and bringing it back a couple of times for the gears to get comfortable with each other.

Having done this, I must say that the attachment runs very smoothly.

Last edited:
I'm just curious, when / why do you use the thread cutting attachment vs a tap / die?

I got the lathe package that included the thread cutting attachment, but from reading through the Sherline machining book, it sounds as if it is usually preferable to use a tap & die unless you really need a thread pattern that is not easily available.

Can't speak for others but I use a die when there is already a thread present and I'm trying to clean it up or complete a partial thread that was made by some other process. Dies do not produce precision threads so if you need one then you need to screw cut it. The other issue with dies is that holding them square can be difficult if doing it with a hand held die holder. On the lathe, you can use a tailstock die holder and get it pretty well aligned but it still won't cut a precision thread, even when using split button dies. When you spend several hours getting a work piece done and the last thing you need to do is cut a good thread on the end, a die is not the method I would recommend; I would screw cut it.

As for taps, when the hole just needs to hold a screw and I have the right size tap then I tap. When I need a precision fit or the hole is a size for which I don't have a tap then I cut it. I've cut a LOT of internal threads over the years and it is no harder for me to cut an internal thread vs an external one. For me, the issue is how small or large the hole is, and also how deep. I have bars that will thread inside a 3/16" ID hole on out, and shallow to 5" deep (all carbide bars) so if I have the need to cut a thread, I can cut it. Taps are faster and easier to use so I use them when I can but when I need a precision fit, I cut it.

You will often work on projects where the male piece is of a non-nominal size and the female part must fit. There are no taps or dies to make this work so you have to be able to screw cut external and internal threads, and you have to be able to cut to the tolerance class you need. My advice is to learn how to cut threads; this will serve you well over the years. Luckily, thread cutting on the Sherline lathe is pretty simple and once you have a handle on it, it frees you to design stuff that you wouldn't otherwise be able to do.

On a related subject, you are cranking the lathe by hand with a Sherline and you're cutting with both flanks of the threading tool. As you get deeper into the thread the resistance goes up. Your tool needs to be accurately ground and sharp or you'll struggle to turn the crank and your thread form will be all messed up. Learn to grind and hone a good threading tool. And don't think a carbide threading tool is the answer; it is not. One option is a HSS inserted threading tool from AR Warner. I haven't used one but I know they're available. Personally, I prefer a tool with a geometry that I control so I only use a shop-ground HSS tool on my lathe.

EDIT: I should mention that when using dies, coarser threads require a lot of torque to cut. On the Sherline lathe, coarse means 3/8" threads or larger. When you turn the work to cut with a die, the chuck cannot hold the part and it will turn and there goes your thread form, not to mention the marring of the work piece. For this reason, many guys will partially screw cut the threads and finish up with the die, or they transfer the work piece to a vise and use a hand held die holder to finish up. This is a hassle for me and I prefer to just cut a clean thread in the first place. Believe it or not, I can cut threads faster on the lathe than going through all the hoops above.

Last edited:
Thank you, I was wondering how useful this attachment would be after reading about making threads. It sounded more like a nice to have tool for very specific needs and I was wondering how much I would use it. Nice to hear it may be more useful than I initially thought.

It seems he really downplayed the need for special tools even though Sherline has a fairly extensive product line. An unusual position to take, but kind of refreshing to see.

Aaron, screw cutting ability is a big deal. What Joe did was to design a gear train that will cut almost any thread you might ever need, both Imperial and Metric, and made it simple to use. In time, you will find that the threading attachment is one of the most valuable accessories made for this lathe. It is often the difference between can and cannot.

Thanks, nice to know it is actually a handy accessory. I'm not seeing a need in the short term, as none of my initial projects include threaded bits, but I'm sure as I expand my horizons I will want that ability. Thanks to this thread I also know I may want to run in the gears a bit before use.

Back