Shimming a gib

taiwanluthiers

Registered
Registered
So the cross slide gib on my lathe is really worn, so much so that when I take it out and cleaned all the grits off, I needed a 0.5mm thick copper shim on the nonmoving side to get the gib properly shimmed up.

I have no idea how to scrape and I certainly don't have any idea where to buy new gibs or fit new gibs.

Anyone shimmed a gib rather than try to make a new gib when it's badly undersize?

I think it's often done as a temporary measure
All you need is a milling machine and you can make a new one :)
-M

Instead of copper I’d try using some shim stock. Harder material and flat. Glue to the non sliding side.

I think it's often done as a temporary measure
All you need is a milling machine and you can make a new one :)
-M

How? What material would you use? Do you use specially made gib strips, or just any old 1018 steel bars? I think you also have to scrape them in too.

Instead of copper I’d try using some shim stock. Harder material and flat. Glue to the non sliding side.

I looked all over, copper is about the best thing I can find.

I was hoping to use steel straps they use to hold crates together, but they are sold in 50kg rolls and I don't need that much.

I do not really have purpose made shim stocks.

I did a similar job on my 1916 Seneca Falls lathe as a "temporary fix" about 10 years ago. The intention was to fabricate a new gib within a few weeks, but 10 years later it's still working fine. In my case I bought some 12" ready to use steel feeler gauges from McMaster. The smaller sizes are around $3.00 a unit. I just cut the gauge to size and slipped it in under the existing gib. Making a new gib is still on the back burner.

0.5mm thick - .020 Inches. Here in the USA we can buy Plastic feeler gage and we can slide it behind the back side. Make sure to cut the oil holes through it. Or use Rulon / turcite. I have friends in Taiwan as I taught machine building for several new machine builders. I have friends who teach machine repair . rebuilding / buildings at PMC https://www.pmc.org.tw/ Email me Richard@handscraping.com and I will forward your info to write my friends in Taichung and you can ask them in Chinese. :)

Attachments

• award.1.jpg
    award.1.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Christmas card from PMC.jpg
    Christmas card from PMC.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 6
  • rich. Taiwan news.1 (2).jpg
    rich. Taiwan news.1 (2).jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Tami Award.jpg
    Tami Award.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 6
Plastic shim stock...available at mcmaster and most tooling companies...
Cuts with scissors!
Buy the assortment

Delivery might be a little more .....lol

Back