Shingle oil,

dlane

Active User
Registered
Hi all, I found a 5gal bucket of shingle oil here (new place) was thinking of spraying / rolling some on my trailer deck to help preserve it . I just replaced deck 6mo ago with treated fir , it's already looking old:(
This place is HOT dry then wet then hot dry, seems wood doesn't stand a chance here.
Any body have experience with this stuff ? Kinda looks like 30wt
Thanks

What will that do for it, last deck on it I sprayed used motor oil on it , seemed to rot quicker, but that was in Arkansas a lot of humidity there.

Hi all, I found a 5gal bucket of shingle oil here (new place) was thinking of spraying / rolling some on my trailer deck to help preserve it . I just replaced deck 6mo ago with treated fir , it's already looking old:(
This place is HOT dry then wet then hot dry, seems wood doesn't stand a chance here.
Any body have experience with this stuff ? Kinda looks like 30wt
Thanks
Just leave the 36" precision rule/bar with the vernier scale on the deck next to the bucket of shingle oil. I'll stop by and leave instructions for applying the oil. :D

When I was growing up we always oiled the floors of the hay racks and the silage wagons with used motor oil. Usually did them each spring and then again in early fall. When those wagons sold at auction they all still had the original floors. They were all 30 yrs old or better.

Dose it do any thing good for genetically altered fir wood ?
Don't have wood shingles .

I would think that any kind of oil would be helpful in warding off the rotting of the wood, genetically engineered or not. If the wood will soak up the oil, the oil is preventing the wood from taking up that much water, thus protecting it. I would try two or three coats of oil to begin with, then a couple more coats every six months or so.

I've no experience with shingle oil.
I position my trailer on the class 5 (away from all asphalt), pour the used motor oil in a 5gallon pail and then paint my trailer deck with an old broom.
Be careful not to use the wifes good broom!

Daryl
MN

Shingle oil = snake oil???:foot in mouth:

I need to put a new floor in my small trailer. The 9 year old boards are just about toast. Have a 5 gallon bucket of used headstock/motor oil waiting to go to recycling. May give it a try with new boards. Was thing of buying ruff cut oak boards if I can find them down here where I'm at.

Back