[How-To] Shop air quality ideas?

NC Rick

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am becoming invested in my latest idea of improving the air quality in my shop. My space is just under 1000 square feet with a lower ceiling. I work mostly with metal. I use a mini-split for temperature and humidity control but don't have any window, just an 8ft garage door. I'm wondering if the woodworking type of air scrubber will be of much use? Tig welding fumes and grinding dust along with cutting oil smoke are the biggest culprits. I have a 6" vent in the block wall I can use for some kind of extraction. Any ideas or experiences from you folks would be appreciated.

Last edited:
A small variable speed blower and some 4-6" flexible ducting at each machine, or movable to each machine. If your existing wall vent isn't centrally located, It's generally not that hard to install another one closer to where you need it. Some pics of your machine area might help with more exacting info. Mike

Look forward to the ideas you get here Rick, as the only way I can improve my shop air is to open the garage door! Doesn't work very well, when its -20F outside.:oops:

Those woodworking air purifiers work very good depending on how you place them. An 8ft door is a lot of area if used right, same with the 6” vent with a good fan. Its all about flow and semi containment. If the 8’ door and 6” are opposite sides of the shop that can be used to great effect so having the 6” fan reversible would be good. I’d have dividers set up by the 6” exhaust fan for grinding and welding. Having HEPA filter on the mini split could be something to look into. I always keep a small fan blowing across my mill and lathe to move oil smoke and dust if any from hanging around my work area. My shop is only 400sqft with a man door and 17’ garage door. The lathe and mill are next to the man door so air pulls from the man door across the two and out the 17’. Welding, grinding and powder coating are all done in the 17’ doorway with the fan by the mill pulling air. I made a small booth for powder coat with an air duct and cyclone to pull the overspray into the vac. Works wonderful, no powder coat powder in the shop.

Last edited:
I'm truly interested in thoughts and ideas from folks on this forum. I didn't want to post too much information so as to not prejudice the replies. I have moved on some of my own ideas over the time I have been in here but the thinking process has been disjointed and constrained by my prior thinking. I'm not married to my train of thought as I acknowledge my lack of vision if not options.my 6" aperture is almost right at the door. Due to either heat, cold, bugs or humidity I have the door closed more than half the year. It is open today! :p
I am fitting a Grizzly woodworkers filter between the joists today but have not switched it on. I purchased a fan for a duct system 2 years ago which is reversible but ducting it has fallen into the trap of procrastination and indecisiveness. I am constantly working on better organization but im a disorganized pack rat. I'm making excuses for the messy photos.
1E025760-AA44-4BB8-8160-1EE684256E54.jpeg6B5D9EDB-467A-4056-9FE5-21194FFA5782.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice shop!

I totally relate to the idea I have so many other more pressing projects some can get sidelined and when that happens focus and momentum go down the tubes.

I love the idea of a basement shop for the convenience (just go down the stairs and start working) and for the inherent temp control, but fresh air is a primary concern for me. So much of what I’ve done my whole life has been around toxic dust and chemicals. But I was in a situation where it was almost never enclosed and I’m used to trading the heat and cold for fresh air. But granted I don’t have the extremes you guys have, thankfully.

I installed an air exchanger with heat recovery. In the winter exhausting 18 C air when its -30 outside gets expensive. In the summer the shop stays at 20 c when its 35 C and humid outside. Opening the doors means instant condensation on all the tools. The air exchanger dries the incoming air in the summer and warms it in the winter.
Keeps the dust from the plasma table at bay

Greg

I installed an air exchanger with heat recovery. In the winter exhausting 18 C air when its -30 outside gets expensive. In the summer the shop stays at 20 c when its 35 C and humid outside. Opening the doors means instant condensation on all the tools. The air exchanger dries the incoming air in the summer and warms it in the winter.
Keeps the dust from the plasma table at bay

Greg
I'm interested in the heat exchanger! I thought about that but don't know where to start. Is it something you built? I can't wrap my head around avoiding the net heat loss or gain.

A small variable speed blower and some 4-6" flexible ducting at each machine, or movable to each machine. If your existing wall vent isn't centrally located, It's generally not that hard to install another one closer to where you need it. Some pics of your machine area might help with more exacting info. Mike
I can't move my vent easily. I worry that I won't get good extraction 30 ft from the fan. Once I find the best duct to use, I plan to begin running 3-4 inlets. I thought I might use some duct dampers to help "direct" the suction to where it is most needed at a given time.

My buddy bought this one when he built his house but never installed it. This one has an aluminum cross flow air to air heat exchanger in it. The exhaust air passes through the exchanger warming the plates which then warms the incoming fresh air. They're not 100% efficient but beter than blasting cold air into the shop. In the summer the cool exhaust air chills the warm moist incoming air, it drops a fair bit of moisture out of the outside air, this collects and runs out a drain tube.
Use a newer one in the house that has a plastic air exchanger, seams to work fine too.
I heat the house and shop with hot water from an external wood fired boiler. With no chimney in the house there is no air exchange to remove moisture in the winter. The air exchanger controls the humidity in the house, without it the walls and windows were literally dripping.
IMG_2033.jpg

In the shop I only hooked up the external inlet and exhaust. Made a filter for the shop air to stop dust plugging up the air exchanger section.

Greg

Back