Shop Made Rack for Toyota

Perhaps that is "150 lbs of standing load, acknowledging that they may create lift/downforce? I know the way you load kayaks can do some pretty nasty stuff to roof racks, and can sometimes cause small cars to lose control as a result.

Yes, I'm sure Toyota used a conservative number keeping in mind lift and also shock loads from off-roading and accidents.

I should mention-Jim Dawson came up with a great idea to use threaded stainless inserts in the Delrin. I have ordered material for a different approach but that idea seems like a winner!

EDIT: I hear you calling my Sequoia a small car!

Yes, I'm sure Toyota used a conservative number keeping in mind lift and also shock loads from off-roading and accidents.

I should mention-Jim Dawson came up with a great idea to use threaded stainless inserts in the Delrin. I have ordered material for a different approach but that idea seems like a winner!

EDIT: I hear you calling my Sequoia a small car!

Hah :D Not what I meant re-the small car. Just that I've seen pictures/video of small-cars having their roof racks torn off, or wheels pulled enough off the ground to lose control on the highway.

I guess I have the same concerns with the threated-inserts in delrin as just threading the delrin directly, though the advantage of threaded inserts is you get the 'thread strength' of a larger thread. You might try your same test with the thread (or a similar thread!) of the outside of the threaded insert to see if it is enough strength to make you happy.

View attachment 422189
Not sure 200 feet is enough?

Your friendly state highway patrolman will politely correct the owner of this sign. On the road, a driver is most certainly responsible for securing his load and sweeping the rocks off the tailgate. Cute, though. I bet he don't dial 911, either.

Another option would be to face the SS with rubber sheet?
I was wondering about a coating, like POR-15 epoxy-paint, or even plastidip.
At least then you don't have to try to align the rubber sheet to the holes as you bolt it together..... but then again, you could contact cement the rubber pad on.

Brian

My Sequoia identifies as a Prius...
Some of the inserts have flanges on the back so there is no way they could pull through the Delrin. Think of a T nut that you hammer into wood from the back side.
One of my friends recently lost a kayak on I85. He was damn lucky the it went onto the shoulder. Boat was fine and no crashes.
I did not know about POR-15. I had to google that. Looks like good stuff but not cheap. I have adhesive backed EPDM rubber coming so I think that will be easy to apply.
I really appreciate the interest and the comments! I think this rack mount would be applicable to a large number of vehicles if someone wanted to duplicate it.

1664827784493.png
Better?

Christmas from McMaster Carr!
I got some Delrin cut up

1664937601971.png
And machined into T-Nuts. I love machining Delrin. It's like wood, only perfect...
1664937638443.png

I used 1/8" plate with holes threaded M8 and made a Delrin sandwich. Mmmm, tasty!
1664937740928.png
I even put a cute M4 screw to hold the assembly together.
Here we are. The Sandwich is inside the factory rail so not very visible.
1664937817147.png
1664937845951.png

1664937867811.png
I think it looks great. Almost factory. The thing is rock solid. Tomorrow I will drive it and see about the noise level.

Last edited:
Testing today shows NO wind noise! I'm gonna call this done for now. I may convert the bar hold downs to a threaded stud with a tamper resistant nut.

1664983592302.png
That way I can quickly remove the bars if I want to run it through a car wash. They don't like non-factory racks.
I feel like this is a very safe design. I guess the real question is- would you trust that rack to hold your mother-in-law at highway speeds?

It's called Tri-groove. McMaster has them.

Back