Shop mats

Another option that I have seen quite a bit. They use some sort of wood riser. Not sure how they prevent fatigue but I hear they work well. I guess the wood planks are springy? Off the top of my head, Tom Lipton uses one & so does AvE. I tried searching for them but not sure what they are called or if they even sell em. I assume the ones I have seen are all shop made & woodn't be hard to make. ;)

View attachment 332405

That’s an interesting idea actually Will.
My mill and lathe are basically even across the front so I could make one long one. Though two shorter ones would be easier to move for cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get these at Industrial Plastics. They come in 3’x3’ modules that kind of lock together although I supplement that with a giant staple strap or two. They’re really soft though — these are not the stiff kind often seen in commercial kitchens — and I can stand on them for hours. I think about thirty bucks apiece if my memory serves.

View attachment 332396

Home Depot carries these smaller individual ones, also for twenty bucks or so. Equally soft, they have a beveled edge and are not meant to lock together. Great for small areas like in front of the Kira.

View attachment 332397

And of course no shop should be without a nice Kerman, they work anywhere...

View attachment 332399

-frank

I have a piece of that matting in the back of my truck to stop stuff from sliding around in the box. I completely forgot that it is actually a mat. Doh! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That’s an interesting idea actually Will.
My mill and lathe are basically even across the front so I could make one long one. Though two shorter ones would be easier to move for cleaning.

Please let us know how it works if you make one. I've always been interested. I've only seen a few in person but never got to stand on one. I think one YT'r said he made his out of old pallets?

Seems like they would handle chips well too, "sweep" with your feet and/or just fall between the spaces. Eventually you would need to clean out under it but not a big deal.

I'm using Wearwell mats for the lathe & mill. We used these in the QC dept at my old work & is where I learned about them. I've had mine for 10 yrs or so & they don't show any signs of wear or damage (well very hot chips can melt into them). I've spilled all kinds of shop fluids on them.

They're not cheap though compared to mats from HF or big box stores. The one for my lathe I had custom cut, one for the mill is an off the shelf size. Custom cut cause the edges are beveled to help avoid tripping. They were pricey but I have no regrets & would buy them again.

View attachment 332403
That's the same kind I have in my shop - an 8 footer in front of my workbench. I've had it for several years. It's very rugged and definitely easy on the back. It would be my first choice if I needed another mat.

Regards,
Terry

Rubber mat by mill and a comfy bar stool at the lathe. If I was standing at a lathe all day I like the wood. Shop I did my time in had wood in front of every workbench and machine. Good orthotic inserts in the boots work wonders as well.

Like MrWhoppee I use the HF mats. I have several sets. I use them in front of each lathe and around the Bridgeport. They've been in place about 15 years. Some are starting to show wear so I was thinking about getting some replacements this fall.

From time to time hot chips will get embedded, but they are comfortable to stand on for 4 or 5 hours at a time. I like them better than those with the holes in them in that I can run a vacuum over them and pick up all the swarf and crud in just a few minutes. We had the boards at work like darkzero posted. They worked fine, but had to be moved every day to clean the floor. They're bulky and hard to get out of the way.

The mats can stay in place and just run a vacuum over them. That may not be important to some, but we have 2 dogs that love to visit the shop. I have a small sliding gate to keep them out when the chips are flying, but as soon as the machines stop running they're begging to come in. I run the vacuum over the floor then open the gate.

Another option is horse stall mats sold at the farm and fleet stores. They are made from recycled rubber and are super tough and heavy.
The one I have is 4'x5' and is about 30lbs.
Joe

Thin Slat Pallets. Not 2x4, but more like plaster lath boards.
In my younger days of running a mill 40 hours/week, these were basically mandatory. And that's when i was in my 20's.
But then we were never allowed to sit down.
Egomaniac bosses, you know.

searching for them but not sure what they are called
These are typically referred to as “duckboards” from their likeness to those used in wet wash up and shower areas. I’ve had a similar arrangement in front of my woodworking bench for many years and they are very comfortable. Mine is just a sheet of G1S 3/4” ply on sleepers as opposed to the slats where stuff can fall through, but same idea. Like standing on a wood floor instead of concrete. Only downside is the slight step up — you need to remember it and it can limit how you move things around if that’s a concern. I think the name actually stems from use in muddy trenches.

-frank

Last edited:
I get these at Industrial Plastics. They come in 3’x3’ modules that kind of lock together although I supplement that with a giant staple strap or two. They’re really soft though — these are not the stiff kind often seen in commercial kitchens — and I can stand on them for hours. I think about thirty bucks apiece if my memory serves.

View attachment 332396

Home Depot carries these smaller individual ones, also for twenty bucks or so. Equally soft, they have a beveled edge and are not meant to lock together. Great for small areas like in front of the Kira.

And of course no shop should be without a nice Kerman, they work anywhere...

-frank
I have been using that type of rubber mats for years, we used to have them at work so when I saw them at home depot I bought 4 and put one in front of the tools I work with the most, snapped two of them together for the work table, they are not expensive but I know the work and work well.
The ones Mikey and DZ Will referred to sound very interesting and I wouldn't mind one in front of my welding bench but not sure if it would get full of holes after a year or so.

Back