Shop Press Upgrade

@epanzella

While I trust and respect the advice given above, I too broach in the vertical hydraulic press.
It's not that I believe it is perfectly safe, I just don't have shop space for a manual arbor press that I would only use once every couple years.
The hydraulic press gets used at least every few weeks for other things.
So, while I do not recommend broaching in the hydraulic press, I still do it.

Mine is fully manual pumping.
I believe air-drive would be great for other things in the press, but I would not use it for broaching.

I also apply some cautions/limits:
i) use lots of cutting oil
ii) stop and release pressure every few pumps (as stated above)
iii) when stopped, check the broach and work-piece from every angle to be sure everything is still aligned.
iv) if the broach does not move when the press ram does then STOP! Tension is building up somewhere and that is dangerous.

With manual pumping of the hydraulic jack I do get some (admittedly limited) feedback on resistance.
Using the air-drive will remove even that and make it much easier to get into trouble.

Brian

I'm with the arbor press crowd.

With the arbor press you can tell when the broach starts to tilt and catch. I'd think that I would have the same problem with the broach tilting and cutting the key way too deep, and ruining the part that cost me $$. Not to mention the safety issue.

It’s not about speed. It’s about feel. There is no way you know with a hydraulic press if the broach is stuck. The shops I worked in it was immediate termination if you got caught using a hydraulic press to broach with. You might want to make a 1/4” plate screen to stand behind as if that broach shatters we’re talking HSS shards that will go right through you.
I learned this the hard way. (Exploding broach)
I use my #3 arbor press now to broach.

Two comments (qualifying each that I'm not a machinist)...

1st, the HF 20T press, either manual or air over hydraulic, has a lot of side to side and front to back play on the ram. Before considering one for broaching, look into adding guides on the press to keep the ram traveling true.

2nd, I've used a drill press in lieu of an arbor press for pushing a keyway broach. I'm sure it overtaxed the drill press spindle gear, but in a pinch, it worked.

I imagine @Janderso doesn't need to be told twice to watch his fingers.

I'd listen to the voice of experience.

I should have said this before, but I think the OP's upgrade to air over hydraulic was a good one. So I'm not critiquing that, I'm just concerned about the use with broaching.

Back