Shop Safety

Amigo

Registered
Registered
In the toolroom and my home shop there were and are some "Always" and "Nevers".

Always - Wear Eye Protection. Consider others who enter the immediate vicinity & shut down the machine until they are protected or leave.

Never - Use your hand or fingers to clear chips from any operating machine tool. If chip removal becomes necessary, use only a straight breakable/expendable "stick", or use a extended tool like needle-nose pliers or a chip brush, whichever is most appropriate.

Never - Wear Gloves while operating a machine tool.

Never - Use a file on a lathe without a commercial style (round end) handle on it.

Note: Years ago as a new apprentice in the journeyman's absence, the boss saw me use a file at the lathe. The file had no handle on it. The boss immediately approached and indicated I shut down the lathe. He pulled the file from my hand and told me that if I ever used that file (without a handle) on a running machine tool again, I would be fired on the spot.
At the time I thought him a bit harsh. However, some time later, I saw the results of disobeying the file handle rule - it was ugly. After that episode, I thanked the boss for his warning - he cared.

Never - Allow a lathe turning to get long and "snake" across the floor. The edges can be scalpel sharp and wrap around an ankle or leg resulting in encircling slashes to the bone which will include cut motor nerves leaving the person crippled for life. There is a valid reason for "chip breakers".

I'll pause for now so this doesn't begin to sound like a rant. But, if a person chooses not to follow the safety rules, he hurts not only him or herself but also the people who care for them.

There are many safety ideas that should be implemented,so I'll only focus on one: NEVER leave your chuck wrench in the chuck while you are not using it. Add this video of some results from a combination of that and horseplay, which does not belong around machinery:

[video=youtube;ajNdLT4exps] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajNdLT4exps&feature=related [/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys
This happen to me just this week. Im on the mill doing some work, and I was just clearing some chips that had piled up.
Now most all of us use paint brushes for this purpose. I could see my Boxer in the corner of my eye, and he was coming down the stairs into the shop. This minor distraction that only lasted a second, the millin cutter grabbed the paint brush from my hand, the handle smacked me across my knuckle, damn that hurt. Then just as Im going to kill the power, the damn paint brush comes flyin out, and nails me in the chest. That hurt even more! The end of most paint brushes are kinda pointy, I promptly went anf sawed off all the pointy ends off every chip brush in the shop, then rounded them over on the belt sander.
I only takes a split second to get hurt.

Paul

And I learned long ago: when you have to get down, and look directly at the headstock end at work level, take the damn live center out of the tailstock, first!

(Please don't ask me HOW I learned that...)

shadow link=topic=649.msg3464#msg3464 date=1296332596 said:
The good old common drill press will beat you up if you dont clamp the part down.
Three years ago I bought another vehicle. I bought a new (don't know proper name for it) part that goes into the square reciever on the hitch that the ball is attached to. It seems that all of my mishaps happen when I am carless and I always know better than to do some of the things I do. I was drilling a new 5/8" cross hole in it for the pin that holds it in the reciever. The piece I was working on was heavy and about 18" long. I was being lazy and didn't clamp it to the table. I very carefully drilled it with no mishapps. Went to check the hole with the pin and of course it was to tight. I figured I would just ream it slightly by carefully tilting it with the drill running. You guessed it...the drill grabbed the part and spun it out of my hands and came around and banged my left hand before I could get it out of the way. Man, did that hurt. I moved my fingers so I thought everything was OK. I went to the doctor for a regular check up about a month later and mentioned that it hurt a bit. He sent me to get it xrayed and sure enough, my first broken bone. Boy did I feel foolish because I knew better but did it any way.

Charlie W.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,
One thing you should always watch out for and it can catch up on you unawares, That is tiredness and fatigue This slows down your reflex time more than you think, and if you are dog tired, you dont focus on what you are doing as much as you should
I will give an example-- working a slotting machine many years ago, i had a brush to sweep away the cuttings, I was tired, brush fell, cutting obscured my finish line, tried to brush it away with my small finger , Ram leisurely came down, I was too slow, I was lucky only a lacerated finger, could have been a finger missing or a limb damaged beyond repair The down side was a long wait in the casualty dept, at the local hospital amongst some real dead beat types , drugged up, drunk, been fighting etc, dont know what was worse for the end to a "perfect evening"

Safety, is something i value, and try to be safe and also think on others also, with that in mind i am always a bit terse with anyone in my shop who is not of a mechanical disposition, not that i do not welcome strangers, but folks who have been around mechanical plant have by and large a built in preservation instinct, Although we can all make a real disaster.

I think we all should practice safety, without being paranoid and carrying this to the Nth degree! We do not want the safety &p.c. brigade sniffing around our home shops.

I expect this to open up a can of worms....but I do use gloves in the shop. The only ones I use are the blue nitrile (spelling?) gloves sold at Harbor Freight. If you have ever used them they tear very easy so I have not had an accident so far. I seem to get my hands dirty just walking in the shop so I decided to give them a try. And I don't use them all the time. THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT but I find them very useful. I'll now jump in the foxhole. Gary R.

I would not use gloves on the table saw, or shaper. I KNOW where the ends of my fingers are, but I'm not so sure about where the ends of the gloves are. The latex/nitrile are OK on the metal lathe and mill, to help stay clean and stop the metal splinters.

Even with a proper handle, I'm careful where it's pointed when filing on the lathe- basically away from me!
Everybody probably has safety glasses, but make sure to have some extras for anybody that happens by.
Think about what could come loose, break, catch or otherwise screw up, then do something about it before it happens.
If the little voice in the back of your head questions, even slightly, what you're doing- STOP! It's taken me many years to listen to that little voice. The only thing worse than an accident is an accident where you suspected it might happen, then were stupid enough to do it anyway.

The current drinking and driving laws are there for a reason. A long time ago I was operating a cable type backhoe (hydraulics were just hitting the market) on a hot summer day. It was payday and we were working late so the boss brought out some beer while passing out checks. He sent one down me while I was finishing up digging a sewer line trench, the bs session continued and it took a second beer to finish the trench. About the middle of the second beer I noticed I couldn't get the bucket back in the trench without hitting the sides-----my cooribation was gone!! That is why I don" t inbibe while running shop machiery to this day.

Back