Short Barrel Chambering Fixture

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I had put this in another thread but thought it would be better here. I'm starting a short barreled smokeless muzzle loader build that won't reach my outboard spider. My son had a 4 inch hunk of solid 6061 laying around so I decided to build a fixture like I've seen elsewhere on line. I have 3 rows of holes. The first 2 rows are 2 1/2 inches apart for bolt work and barrel stubbing. The first and last rows of holes are 7 inches apart for holding rifle barrels. My outboard spider on my Grizzly G4003G requires at least a 22 inch barrel length or it can't be used. As this is going to be a stub job, I also needed a fixture that would allow me to dial in something only 3 inches long. The bolts are made from allthread 1/2 x 20 rod. The bolt heads are nuts TIG'd on and the brass tips are pressed in. I love 20 pitch because each complete turn is .050 inches.

DSC_0551.JPGDSC_0557.JPGDSC_0558.JPGDSC_0559.JPG

So how do you set it up to chamber? Looks like a nightmare to indicate.

So how do you set it up to chamber? Looks like a nightmare to indicate.
You indicate it the same way you would if you used the outboard spider and a 4 jaw. The bolts are all at 90 degree increments and lined up with each other. You don't use all 3 rows of bolts at the same time, you just pick any 2. For a rifle chamber you would use the front rom and the last row, essentially giving you a pair of 4 jaw chucks 7 inches apart. For a barrel stub I use the first 2 rows that are 2 1/2 inches apart. I don't have any long reach TI's so I use a long piece of music wire in a toolholder and indicate that. By running the carriage back and forth I can check the piece at any depth without changing the setup.

Nice!!!!! I wish I would have built mine I have the viper similar to what you built. I mounted a bald eagle spider to a face plate I can do a 20” barrel through the headstock of mine now

Nice!!!!! I wish I would have built mine I have the viper similar to what you built. I mounted a bald eagle spider to a face plate I can do a 20” barrel through the headstock of mine now

I always wanted to speak to someone with a Viper! On your unit the flats for the 4 jaw line up with the brass tipped bolts. I always wondered what the reason for that was. On mine I put the flats for the 4 jaw in between the rows of bolts to give me a bit wider span. In use I have to reach in between the jaws to adjust the last row of bolts. So far I don't see a problem but since i recently completed mine I haven't used it much. Do you see any downside to the way I built mine?

Very good work epanzella. I'm betting that it will work out fine.
so I use a long piece of music wire in a toolholder and indicate that.
Would you elaborate on how the music wire is used to indicate at depth please. I have an idea but would like to be sure.
Thanks

Very good work epanzella. I'm betting that it will work out fine.

Would you elaborate on how the music wire is used to indicate at depth please. I have an idea but would like to be sure.
Thanks

Sorry I wasn't clear. The music wire is not indicating depth but concentricity. I'm trying to emulate a long reach test indicator. On the stub job I need to bore out a 3 inch piece of barrel and thread it for the tenon I'll machine onto the new barrel blank. The barrel piece contains the 12 gauge chamber which is tapered so I have to indicate it in 2 places to insure it's aligned with the barrel centerline. It's similar to indicating in a whole barrel for chambering but it's only 3 inches long. I put a piece of 3/16 music wire in a tool holder and run the carriage down until the end is in the chamber. I turn the xfeed until its rubbing the side of the chamber. Now as the fixture turns the music wire will oscillate with any runout in the chamber. I indicate the wire between where it exits the barrel and the tool holder. The mag base is on the xslide so I can sweep the chamber with the carriage handwheel without disturbing the setup. I just keep going back and forth indicating one end then the other end of the chamber until it's dead nutz concentric.

Last edited:
Got it, thanks for the explanation.

Just a followup. It's been 2 weeks since my knee replacement and I'm able to hobble into the shop for brief periods. Here are some pix of dialing my stub barrel into my chambering fixture.

Back