Should I buy a Shaper?

Everybody should have one, I keep mine on the end table.

shapertable121911003.jpg

I don't have one in the shop, haven't even seen one in use anywhere I've worked. I learned how to run one in high school and that was it.

shapertable121911003.jpg

shapertable121911003.jpg

Excellent result! Nice looking shaper, vise too, seems like it took a while finding that but it proves the saying that everything comes to he who waits...
How many did you turn down before that one came along?

Bernard

Excellent result! Nice looking shaper, vise too, seems like it took a while finding that but it proves the saying that everything comes to he who waits...
How many did you turn down before that one came along?

Bernard

I was looking hard at another one, but it was bigger than I wanted. I actually stopped looking for one and this week I did a search and the one I bought came up. It had been listed for two days, I figured someone already picked it up, luckily I was the first caller. When I actually picked it up, the PO said his phone was ringing non-stop on people interested.

I checked flea-bay, there is a nice little Atlas indexer for the low price of $1,600 or so $$$ I got the pics and plan on building a version of it. I plan on doing internal splines so this would be very helpful.

shapertable121911003.jpg

I don't have one in the shop, haven't even seen one in use anywhere I've worked. I learned how to run one in high school and that was it.

I like it!

shapertable121911003.jpg

shapertable121911003.jpg

shapertable121911003.jpg

Nice! what make and model is that?

shapertable121911003.jpg

shapertable121911003.jpg

sure you need one in your shop----If I have two--- you at least should have one-------Dave

davids camera 5-2012 074.jpgdavids camera 5-2012 075.jpgdavids camera 5-2012 077.jpg

davids camera 5-2012 074.jpg davids camera 5-2012 075.jpg davids camera 5-2012 077.jpg

Looks like you use both. What type of projects do they take care of and how often do you use them?

both work good----right now it's just too cold in my lower shop to run them--even though it did warm up to zero----I'm hoping to put heat in that shop next year----my next project for the shaper will be a lot of T nuts and several sizes for my mills and engravers tables.---actually I plan on keeping the green one and selling the orange one later to help make room for my Bridgeport and Hendey/Norton mills-----Dave

I was wanting to cut some splines for prototype lockers I make.
Found this for less then $250 a couple of years ago. $175 comes to mind. Anyway, I made a motor mount and the whole table indexing pawl assembly that was completely missing other than the dog on the end of the table. I found some guy who showed me some pictures of their Pawl Assembly and I went from there the best I could with what I had. Dressed up the lead screw pawl gear but not enough as I found out today. I finally got around to really needing it to surface my new HF Mini Lathe compound on the flat extending under the dovetail.
Like my friend says, "it makes everything but money". LOL
I've never seen one let alone setup or run one but I got it. I took off .003" and then .0005". The clapper didn't like to return to its seat with such a small cut without a little finger pressure on it. A rubber band would of worked. I also found out that the gear on the pawl assembly needs more work as it slipped several times and didn't index without a little help. All lessons learned. Short camera vid http://youtu.be/2lCaQhibKmw

pawl%20assembly.jpg delta%20shaper.jpg pawl%20installed.jpg cross%20slide%20scraped.jpg

delta%20shaper.jpg pawl%20assembly.jpg pawl%20installed.jpg cross%20slide%20scraped.jpg

Attachments

• shaper.avi
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Folks
I am new here.
Shapers you either love them (or fall in love with them) or have no use or need for them.
I have a Atlas 7B with original vise, my partner in crime owns an Ammco (with vise and rotary table) and we jointly own a 20inch Gould and Eberhardt (with vise) alias Phat Gurl at an estimated 5000 lbs. We bought it for scrap price $650.
You will notice that I was repetitive about original vise coming with the shaper, finding one after the fact is not easy (in some cases) and usually pricey.
It took a while to learn how to set up a finishing cut to get that mirror finish , it really is an awesome finish.
They are absolutely mesmerizing to watch and that makes them very dangerous if you don't keep careful attention to what you are doing while operating the machines.
Work safe
Al

Back