Should I buy this INDEX SUPER 55 mill?

Parts are pretty scarce even from wells/index for this machine You would have to fab alot of parts to get it running. But is still has the power down feed does it work? If you think you can fix it offer no more than $400.

On the other hand you are on the east coast, Bridgeport pop up for sale all the time I would wait for one of those

I have a Super 55. Wells-Index still carried parts and and would regrind the spindle to R8 taper a few years ago when I had mine re-ground. I expect that your fine feed works. To engage it, you need to tighten the little 4 eared handle on the left side of the spindle housing. This engages a cone clutch which engages both the fine feed handle and the power feed to the spindle. I can't really see what's wrong with the power feed. Mine was just taken apart, cleaned, painted and I am putting it back together again. 750 probably isn't a bad price, I gave 450 for mine, but had to replace the motor and motor pulley. Good luck.

I'd make him an offer. You're not going to find a Bridgeport for $750.

I think the Super 55 is likely a bit stiffer than a bridgeport but has a little less travel on the x axis. It also doesn't have the ability to tilt the head forward or back. Overall, I think it's a pretty good mill. Also, to add to the earlier post, it cost me $200 to have the spindle reground when I did it, plus shipping. That was a few years ago, so I would expect it to be higher now.

I think the Super 55 is likely a bit stiffer than a bridgeport but has a little less travel on the x axis. It also doesn't have the ability to tilt the head forward or back. Overall, I think it's a pretty good mill. Also, to add to the earlier post, it cost me $200 to have the spindle reground when I did it, plus shipping. That was a few years ago, so I would expect it to be higher now.
I called Wells-Index two days ago and got a quote of $425 + $125 insured shipping.

What has me most hesitant right now is the idea of unloading the thing. My dad's trailer is super skookum, but that high center of gravity of the mill.o_O Probably would disassemble the table, if it's not too involved.

Crank the knee all the way down, put the table as far back against the column as it will go, crank the spindle all the way over to one side or the other and use a heavy tie down strap under around the housing that rotates the spindle on the front and the lug that the motor tray rotates on in the back. This should put the center of gravity low enough for you to lift it without it trying to tip. Be careful when you rotate the head and motor, as the motor tray will contact the housing and mess up the paint (no need to ask how I know that). Wow, the price for that regrind has really gone up. It might be cheaper to just locate B&S number 9 tooling at that price.

Back