Should I replace the leadscrew bearing?

JW turner

Registered
Registered
I have a 14 inch Logan, that I am working on and noticed there is some play in the leadscrew bearing on the QC end. I put a indicator on it and there is approx. 0.040" of play. Is that ok or should it be replaced? The oil hole was plugged with dirt and gunk, but it flushed right out with a pick and WD-40. I am assuming that is why it is so worn and the other bearings seem to be much better.

Joe

Joe
Is the play side to side or up and down? If s2s then maybe just an adjustment or shim to remove the play. Up and down, I would look at replacement as the gears would be changing their contact points at will. If I am in visioning how it all goes together correctly.
Pierre

I would definitely replace it. It is not doing your gear teeth any good.

Randy

Pierre
It is up & down. I put the indicator on the top of the shaft next to the bearing and lifted it by hand to get the reading. Probably, also the same all the way around, but I only measured up & down.

Randy & Bill
I was thinking I needed to change it, but didn't know if that was an acceptible amount or not.

Thanks.

Joe

Change the bearing based on what you have found.

Rick,

Lol. I guess it is out of spec. then. It is aprox. 1" to 1 1/4". (I only "eyeball" measured it.) Thanks for the formula. It is going to be helpfull.

Joe

Back