Should I sell my just restored lathe?

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Part 1
I told someone I restored an old lathe and he asked me how much I want for it. He owns a car repair shop and will use it there. I think he wants "old arn". He was very serious. It's an Atlas Craftsman 101.07403 12x24. What should I ask? I don't really want to sell it, but I thought I'd make him an offer I couldn't refuse. Thoughts?

Part 2
If I sell this lathe I'll need another one. Saw an Atlas Craftsman 101.21400. I looked on lathes.co.uk and it looks like a later one. I'm guessing 60's or 70's judging by the serial number. I think it's a 6x18, but looks longer. There was no info in the ad. I contacted the seller. He has very little tooling. It runs. He's asking $700. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yes...

We all are looking for the next one.

If offered more than your investment go for it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The best tool for working on a lathe is often another lathe. I would hate to sell one I just finished and be without until could find the next one. If the cycle continues, your hobby became restoring lathes as opposed to making things. That, of course is an age old question - did you buy the tool to work on or work with. Both can be enjoyable.

I would give him the "I Really DO NOT Want to Sell it but if your willing to pay this Amount then You Got A Deal" Price. It would have to be enough to buy myself a nicely equipped lathe as good or better then what I had plus a few other goodies before i would even consider parting with my current setup.

Most people trade up rather than down, but whatever fits your needs. The "21400" is the Sears branded version of the venerable Atlas 618
Many Atlas 6" owners here and lots of parts available

The 21400 went into production about the same time that the 07403 went out. So at least you know that the 6" is newer. But on the other hand, it's half the size, too. I would go after a 101.28990 or a 3996 if it were mine.

The best tool for working on a lathe is often another lathe. I would hate to sell one I just finished and be without until could find the next one. If the cycle continues, your hobby became restoring lathes as opposed to making things. That, of course is an age old question - did you buy the tool to work on or work with. Both can be enjoyable.

I thought the same thing! It was fun restoring it, but I really want to USE it! If I restore a few of these and make some decent money I can buy myself a pretty nice machine. Decisions, decisions...

I would give him the "I Really DO NOT Want to Sell it but if your willing to pay this Amount then You Got A Deal" Price. It would have to be enough to buy myself a nicely equipped lathe as good or better then what I had plus a few other goodies before i would even consider parting with my current setup.

That's what I was thinking. Any suggestions for a price? I was thinking something around $3,000. That's high, but I have money and time in the current machine.

Most people trade up rather than down, but whatever fits your needs. The "21400" is the Sears branded version of the venerable Atlas 618
Many Atlas 6" owners here and lots of parts available

Yeah, I thought that was the case. I'd like something that has plenty of parts availability. But, it is smaller, which is a negative.

The 21400 went into production about the same time that the 07403 went out. So at least you know that the 6" is newer. But on the other hand, it's half the size, too. I would go after a 101.28990 or a 3996 if it were mine.

Thanks for the input. I was hoping you'd chime in. When he told me he was interested, I looked on CL to see what was available. The 21400 was the only one that caught my eye. I thought I might buy that one, restore it and sell it to him! Not sure if I want to get in the restoration business, though. It's fun, but I think I like restoring them for me. A 12x24 is probably just fine for most of what I will attempt. I will look into the 28990 and 3996, though, just to be educated.

Back