Should I Use 60 Degree Cutter For Fine Threads?

RegisG

Registered
Registered
I am cutting some fine 8mm x 1.0 threads and my 60 degree cutter "looks" like it is too wide for these threads. Should I be using a different angle thread cutter for fine threading? Only thing I find in my books or online is 60 degree.

Thanks,
Regis

You use a 60deg cutter. I don't understand the too wide statement? The cutter is only fed in a limited amount to form the thread. If you are referring to the point of the cutter, most of us doing single point threading use a sharp point. If you were to try to cut the standard form, the point would be blunted and only able to cut a limited number of pitches. There are carbide thread inserts that will cut standard thread form. They are offered in shapes that can cut multiple threads pitches, or just one. You could grind a tool to cut another form than the standard with a different angle, but they would not work standard hardware.

You are most likely useing a pre made carbide cutter . Most are made to cot courser threads. Grind one from HS and make the point a sharp 60 point . You should get a better job from that.

I am using pre-made carbide. Will change to HSS.
Thanks all
Regis

Don't forget to hone the sides of the tool bit to create a sharp point. And just barely touch the point with your honing stone to slightly blunt the point, leaving .0001-.0015" flat on end.

Back