Show me your DIY gun vise

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
There is no better way to safely work on and clean your rifle with a gun vise/holder.
I had one of these -see pic but it's gone.
Rather than buying one I think I could make one. Just looking for simple but very useable gun vises made by you guys.

Thanks.

Attachments

• gun vise.jpg
    gun vise.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 12
Rifle or pistol ? I don't own a rifle anymore but I used to own quite a few . A hunting rifle co . was a customer of mine and sometimes they would pay me with a rifle . I sold them all back in the 90's . I want to get back into it but with black powder , so I will have to make a holder/vise .
I think this would look good .
Mark .

Rifle or pistol ? I don't own a rifle anymore but I used to own quite a few . A hunting rifle co . was a customer of mine and sometimes they would pay me with a rifle . I sold them all back in the 90's . I want to get back into it but with black powder , so I will have to make a holder/vise .
Mark .
Oh sorry, rifle.

Nothing to add, but will be watching for ideas to snag.

I need to make something for my blackpowder revolvers too.

Nothing to add, but will be watching for ideas to snag.

I need to make something for my blackpowder revolvers too.
I had an old replica from Umberti. It was an 1859 New Army with the back strap. I think.
It was a hoot to shoot. Messy though. I was so afraid of chain fire I put white grease on top of the felt wads on top of the balls. :)

Mark .
That is quite similar to my old "Decker" Gun vise, I have the Decker and a Tipton, Very handy to have, Use them all of the time. Not my decker, but a pic from google.
1683069023247.png

Not as pretty as some already posted!!
I'm using scrap pieces so don't laugh.
Got the front section done. Still looking around and pondering the rear clamp affair.

Attachments

• strut 1.jpg
    strut 1.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 11
  • strut 2.jpg
    strut 2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 11
Not as pretty as some already posted!!
I'm using scrap pieces so don't laugh.
Got the front section done. Still looking around and pondering the rear clamp affair.

What's not to like? To me, doing a side project in wood is like chinese torture. I'd much rather use up some scrap metal when it's my turn to make one.

I've built perhaps a half-dozen gun vises. Today my go-to's are not DIY. The vises I use are the LW-Bisley https://www.lothar-walther.com/gun-barrel-accessories/gun-vice/1/bisley-vice?c=45 (I might not use this vise if it were this expensive when I bought it.) and a pair of Japanese carving vises: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-patternmakers-or-gunstock-carving-vise . With some thick felt, the latter will grab anything I want. Not self-centering, like some of my DIY jobs, but they swivel, which takes care of everything. Not as sexy, but infinitely superior imo. Between the two I can easily accomplish any long arm holding task that I care to.

GsT

Back