Show me your DIY parts washer

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Over the years i've improvised many parts washer solution most of them involved a basket, sink, a pan or piece of cardboard and a spray bottle and a big mess to clean up, as many of them wore too small for the parts. Around here we do not have harbor freight tools or any other company that sell parts washers, and ordering them online the shipping and import duties are ridiculous. I'm sure there are other out there that have faced this, maybe for different reason. Any plans, knowledge or experience is much appreciated.

I made this one about 40 years ago (did auto repair for used car dealers at home in the 90s).

Made from 50 gallon drum, ~16 gauge box with hinged top, pump is auto oil pump driven by motor with long extended shaft (you can see motor of left side).
Even has meltable support for lid for fire safety.

Way better than HF and just as good as brand name commercial units,

Aaron

DSCF4003.JPG

DSCF4004.JPG

I like this layout, big box at the top and a sealed container at the bottom, using a 200l drum will be too big for my shop. I prefer to do my cleaning sitting down, that said for quick jobs that is impractical. I've seen engine oil pump used in many instances from pumping paint to transferring liquids, but i thought running gasoline or diesel is a bit to thin. What are you running in yours?

Mine is a 5 gallon pressure cooker with a submersible pump and a house water filter inside. The cable has gotten stiff over the years ;-)
I dont use it much or I would do better!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'm not a car guy, so I generally don't have really large parts to degrease. This is my "Poor man's parts washer." I'm pretty sure I got it at an auto parts store (years ago). Note the handy spout, so I can pour off (and filter) about 80-90% of the wash solution for re-use. I discard the grungy residue.
kHPIM0481.jpg

I use standard parts washing solvent from the auto store in 5 gallon pails. 1 pail lasts years even using everyday. I have sludge trays to collect most junk and a screen to filter out most other stuff before it drains back to drum.
Aaron

I like the large box on top parts washer, so i looked around to find me a box but nothing big enough. I don't have a brake to bend anything that big also i'll need to buy sheet metal, but i stumble on this water heater every time i'm in the big garage, its a working unit with a bad thermostat. After taking some measurements i think the cylinder from it will be the perfect size for my box i may even use the outlet and inlet for draining. But first i needed to extract it. Started by cutting the outside sheet metal and using a crowbar to break it away from the expanding foam. Took the heater element out and left it to dry, it's starting to corrode because it's not protected on the outside. I'll have a lot to cleanout from what i could see it has lots of send and rust on the inside also.
IMG_20210111_192505.jpgIMG_20210111_192456.jpgIMG_20210112_154911.jpg

I had a local HVAC shop bend the box. Don't know what it cost 40 years ago but it is strong and the cover fits good. I did everything else myself. It is clean on the inside and has shown no signs of rust. I try very hard to not get any water in it and also let things drip off so little solvent gets away. If the barrel ever needs replacing, I would use a plastic one.
Aaron

Can't beat a dishwasher. It needs a pump on the inlet or it compains about low pressure, but that's as fancy as you need to get. Fill with (non-foaming) cleaning solution of your choice and let her rip!

Parts Washer.PNG

Back