Show Us Your Classic and Sports Cars

Randy, your '57 reminded me of a 'Vette I had back in the day. A '60 Corvette with both tops and it also had the 245 hp 283....hyd lifter cam with dual WCFB Carter carbs and 4 speed. Totally stock. Certainly wished I had it now!

Last edited:
Most of the vehicles you guys are calling collectables were daily drivers for my generation. I started out with a 1937 Ford 1/2-ton pickup. I paid $10.00 for the truck, and another $15.00 for the new spare tire. Next came the 1951 Dodge Wayfarer. That one cost me all of $25.00. It was replaced by a 1956 Chevy 210. By now I was in the big leagues. I had to shell out $50.00 for that beauty.

The first go faster mobile was a 1963 Corvette. It was a bit pricier than the others, but unfortunately lasted less than a year. It got run over by a little old lady in her 1959 Ford station wagon. Then it was on to the 1955 Chevy Belair 2 door post. This one was a real beauty for the pricey sum of $65.00. Next on the list was a 1958 Chevy Impala station wagon. This one was acquired for a more reasonable price of $40.00.

I got tired of cars since they couldn't hold much as far as weight and volume were concerned. I switched back to trucks starting with a 1951 1-ton Chevy. It was great because it had a 10-foot box. It was a PITA because the floor of the box was so high in the air it was difficult to load. I kept it and bought a 1969 International Scout pickup. Another 1967 Scout came along so that got added to the collection as well. The 1951 Chevy 1 ton was eventually replaced by a 1948 3/4 ton with the 5-window cab. I kept that one longer than any of the others. I finally let it go in 2005. Next vehicle added was a 1954 International R190 wrecker. The last of that era was a 1977 F150 with full time 4-wheel drive. I loved the truck, but it got terrible mileage. It fit the adage of the day, "It could pass anything on the highway except a gas station". It got 11 mpg period. It didn't matter how it was loaded or how it was driven.

On and on it went. If I remember correctly there were over 3 dozen cars (mostly Chevies and Fords) that are considered "collector cars" by todays standards. In reality they were just dependable transportation, until they weren't.

A friend of mine is a real Studebaker fan. Last count he had 31 of them from the late 1930's to the last built in 1966. He has a few trucks in the collection, but most are cars. About half are fully restored. He even has a few supercharged Avanti's.

Last edited:
DSC01540.jpegDSC01540.jpeg
My 69 Camaro. I built a 327 ,with forged pistons, Vortec heads, Comp Cam Muncie M 20 4 speed. I added disc brakes and a Vintage air conditioning system.
The Porsche is an 88 Carrera 3.2 with a G 50 5 speed transaxle.
I really enjoyed both cars but the Porsche was on another level!
Quick story on the Camaro, I was looking for a car for about a year and found this one and we went to drive it. The wife said let's just wait a while and look around some more. I reluctantly agreed. The next day I came home from work and it was sitting in my driveway!

Pretty ratty project car 210000 mile RX 7
12A Rotary wore out so stuffed a 30 over Pontiac 455 with 6x heads RA 4 cam, headers 200 4R transmission 4.10 posi, working on body work this spring, but have to body work and paint the 74 AMX first.

ps. should have kept my 1940 IH with dump bed.

Attachments

• RX 7.jpg
    RX 7.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 28
  • AMX.jpg
    AMX.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IH D 15.jpg
    IH D 15.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back