Sick Of Lathe Change Gears, Made A Quick Cange Gear Box

Congratulations. You should get a lot of satisfaction every time you use it. Beautiful work.

That is neat!
It's funny that I drew up one from scratch in high school 40 years ago that looks similar to yours.
I know its not, but is similar. I designed it to fit my 9" SBL, but never built it. Wound up buying a junked out one from
old man Sobel back around 1978.
You did a excellent job!!!

Ken

Wow, I´m humbled by your praise! Of course you have no idea how many times I messed up along the way, and all the imperfections you are not aware of really stand out to me.

I will of course post more pictures as work progresses with fitting it on the lathe. Right now I think I´m at my upload limit so you will have to wait a bit.

Wow, a thing of beauty, and you should have gear cutting down pat. Mike
Thank you! Spur gears I can do, conical and helical I will attempt in the future.
The reason I got my little shaper was that all these gears have their keyways broached in the lathe by winding the carriage back and forth. For the same money as a good set of keyway broaches I eventually found a sweet little 12" floor model shaper.

I wish I had the expertise to cut gears and the tools it takes to do so. I may sign up at the local tec school. What you've got there is a piece of art!
It isn´t as hard as it may seem, but it takes a good indexer, the correct cutters, and absolute concentration. There are several good instructional videos on youtube, and most older handbooks really explore the topic.
I found the little free program ShopCalc extremely useful as well.

That is neat!
It's funny that I drew up one from scratch in high school 40 years ago that looks similar to yours.
I know its not, but is similar. I designed it to fit my 9" SBL, but never built it. Wound up buying a junked out one from
old man Sobel back around 1978.
You did a excellent job!!!

Ken
Thanks!
There´s no scrap qcgb´s available here that would fit my lathe though, and I find most seems not to be able to cut all the threads I might need. I have done som repairwork on old blackpowder guns, and those threads can be pretty much anything it seems. A colt pocket I made some new screws for was 38tpi.
This gearbox will pretty much cut any thread, and it cost little more than my labour. And I work cheap..

Why is it that it's almost never just a case of doing the job you want to? I need to turn down my lead screw to hold the gear that will mesh with the output cone, so I spent the day working on a really sturdy boring bar holder... that will hold the ridiculously long boring bar I need to open up my spindle bore a hair, in order to fit the leadscrew inside it to machine it...
A well.. It will probably come in handy in other projects in the future.
Merry christmas guys!

Back