Sideboard Completed

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Finally finished this and delivered it in time for easter. That middle drawer is out a little, making it look lower than the right drawer.. I didn't notice when I took it that they were not all closed.
Also these are bookmatched panels, and when you look at the middle one from the opposite side, the color on both branch knots changes.. I love the character it adds, I made those panels a year ago to see how they would work as humidity and seasonal changes came and went.. We're good.
PXL_20240331_002831352.jpgPXL_20240331_002727347.jpgPXL_20240331_002720678.jpgPXL_20240326_181012740.jpgPXL_20240326_181000070.jpgPXL_20240326_180720026.jpg

Nicely done. Care to guess how many hours you have pit into it?

Nicely done. Care to guess how many hours you have pit into it?
no. lots. I did a lot of different things that I normally don't do. I try different things to see how they work out. Some didn't and I wound up redoing them. I lucked out on the Chevron's I was worried how to handle the growth, since it would be a lot more than a normal panel, and in multiple directions. I took reading at different humidity levels to see how much it grew and shrunk, before determining how much space to leave in the rail and stile. Also every glue up was left for a week or 2 so that when I planed or sanded, I didn't have shrinkage later and have them show up.
It was a lot more than normal, and I was in no rush. When doing a solid wood project you have to know how the wood is behaving, and I wanted to use some wild grain for effect, so I had to see how it behaved, some of the best looking pieces didn't make it in, because it just was too curvy at times.. I tried, but I paid attention. Everything was rough surfaced early so I could monitor them.

So my bathroom vanity which was painted (maple) had less hours, and you can't see any joints. I consider paint grade harder than non-painted, yet I spent way, way more on this. I can't venture a guess. Way more than it should have. I also had plantar fasciitis and stopped working on it for a while, I couldn't stand... lots of stupid issues.

Back