Sieg SC3 7x16 Mini Lathe Question...

The problem now is finding any good pots for the older vehicles. There’s not much of anything out there for a car 20 years old or older. That’s not just cheap junk. You used to be able to buy new old stock, but that’s getting expensive and hotter to find.

I’ve been working on cars for 30 years. I can’t remember a time where I never thought. Holy crap they make this any worse. I’m not gonna sit here and say cars were built better back then but the over complication of the new cause is ridiculous. Especially with all the electronic module integration. Will one module that goes bad or short out can affect the entire vehicle it’s just off. I’m not sure what the big changes and wiring, but I see a lot more corrosion than I used to and wires and wire connections. And to add a few other things, we have a lot of low-voltage systems even more problematic. It’s a mess. It really is and the cost of some of this stuff to replace it is ridiculous.

Although I consider this a luxury and a creature comfort. I’m working on a 2014 maxima and the lady wants her climate control seat to work. Well, the little heater that heats up the seat shorted out and burnt out, climate controlled seat module, which turned burnt out the fan and suspect of the heater that’s seat, not including the labor or any diagnostic time priced out 1600 bucks

Kinda the point I was making. Overcomplication, reliance on electronics to a mechanical job and additions that just make no sense (heated seats for one, never could understand that as climate controls (heater) plus body heat makes seats warm. I understand the need for A/C and, potentially,
EFI but even then, I find EFI a stretch on a 4 pot engine. Give me a set of carbs any day over EFI. At least carbs can be rebuild and tuned at home wiithout requiring a degree in computing.

Last edited:
A few of my dads quotes growing up ( Im 52)
“New Means Nothing”
“ Thats gonna hurt”
“Pain and suffering is a great teacher”
Maybe not “his” quotes but learned a lot….
There where many more.

"Never risk what you can not afford to lose" is one I learnt from both my grandfather and late step father.

I have to sing the praises of EFI. My 97 Jeep Cherokee has it and I've been driving it for 20 years; it runs as nice as when
I bought it in 2003. Would not want to go back to a carburetor, at least on that vehicle.

Last edited:
I have to sing the praises of EFI. My 97 Jeep Cherokee has it and I've been driving it for 20 years; it runs as nice as when
I bought it in 2003. Would not want to go back to a carburetor, at least on that vehicle.
And how much is EFI to repair over a rebuilding a set of carbs on a 4 pot engine? too much and too much time and hassle.

I grant that EFI makes tuning easier and fueling more efficient, but even so, correctly tuned and set carbs do the job perfectly fine.

Back