Sieg SC3 7x16 Mini Lathe Question...

I did nothing without being instructed to do so by the supplier and even then, exactly just what they suggested.

I'll get to it and resolve it. I have an idea where the issue is after messing about with it earlier..

I will update as and when I get what I need to test my theory.
Walk away and you’ll see the problem out of the corner of your eye!

When I was 18 driving nails for a living, I worked for a total dick of a forman. We were expected to walk around the job after every break and lunch looking at the job from every angle for things that didn’t look right. He taught me more than anyone I have ever worked for since!

Walk away and you’ll see the problem out of the corner of your eye!

Nope. not that easy.

I have my suspicions of what is causing the issue and the answer will involve hurrying up and waiting for the parts.

When I was 18 driving nails for a living, I worked for a total dick of a forman. We were expected to walk around the job after every break and lunch looking at the job from every angle for things that didn’t look right. He taught me more than anyone I have ever worked for since!

A lot of validity in that approach, one that I picked up from my father as well as several of his friends who were engineers, builders et-al

Nope. not that easy.

I have my suspicions of what is causing the issue and the answer will involve hurrying up and waiting for the parts.
Throwing parts at it may not be the answer. Fresh eyes when you’re not frustrated about it is the way

I did nothing without being instructed to do so by the supplier and even then, exactly just what they suggested.

I'll get to it and resolve it. I have an idea where the issue is after messing about with it earlier..

I will update as and when I get what I need to test my theory.

The stories of your lathe and my mill. 8^)

And best wishes on your other lathe rebuild.

Throwing parts at it may not be the answer. Fresh eyes when you’re not frustrated about it is the way

Trust me when I say, I have gone through everything and the only thing not done is about to be ;)

The stories of your lathe and my mill. 8^)

And best wishes on your other lathe rebuild.

Thanks, The other lathe is not so much of a headache. I know exactly what has been done, what needs to be done and what, exactly, I am missing that I need to finish it.

My problem? Changing ideas part way through and changing direction as regards motor, then deciding to add an ELS into the mix... groan... I'll get it done soon enough and yes, if I can sort a camera, I will grab photos and start a thread on the rebuild.

Trust me when I say, I have gone through everything and the only thing not done is about to be ;)
Hi Grifter,

I'm having the exact same problem that your going through. Just wish I'd come across this thread before I committed to the Sieg SC3. I'm no stranger to the Sieg, I had the C3 for 13 years before this one and it ran as smooth as silk. I got rid of it to make room for the SC3, sad loss. I've also got the Sieg SX3 mill and that's the same runs as smooth as silk.

The response from the supplier (the company from Leicester) seems to be the same as yours so reading between the lines I'm certain you got yours from the same place. I think the response from them is disgusting considering I've spent thousands with them over the years. Tried telling me that because of the higher torque of the brushless motor it can causes the vibration, never heard so much rubbish. The very nature of a motor that's not brushed contributes to it's superior smoothness. I purchased an er collet chuck at the same time which needed a 100mm backplate and they touched on that saying to maybe put bungs into the unused holes. I also got that the bearings may not be up to it so I have now ordered the taper bearings but I'm not convinced. I also got the we have run the glass test on our end and we get the same results here.

My vibration is annoying especially when trying to do fine detail turning but is nowhere as bad as yours. My vibration is also present just running the spindle nothing attached. To say these machines are acceptable is unacceptable in my eyes.

Link to my videos.

What's the thing you haven't done, I'm very intrigued. Glad you didn't do the same as me and sold your old one.

Hi Grifter,

I'm having the exact same problem that your going through. Just wish I'd come across this thread before I committed to the Sieg SC3. I'm no stranger to the Sieg, I had the C3 for 13 years before this one and it ran as smooth as silk. I got rid of it to make room for the SC3, sad loss. I've also got the Sieg SX3 mill and that's the same runs as smooth as silk.

The response from the supplier (the company from Leicester) seems to be the same as yours so reading between the lines I'm certain you got yours from the same place. I think the response from them is disgusting considering I've spent thousands with them over the years. Tried telling me that because of the higher torque of the brushless motor it can causes the vibration, never heard so much rubbish. The very nature of a motor that's not brushed contributes to it's superior smoothness. I purchased an er collet chuck at the same time which needed a 100mm backplate and they touched on that saying to maybe put bungs into the unused holes. I also got that the bearings may not be up to it so I have now ordered the taper bearings but I'm not convinced. I also got the we have run the glass test on our end and we get the same results here.

My vibration is annoying especially when trying to do fine detail turning but is nowhere as bad as yours. My vibration is also present just running the spindle nothing attached. To say these machines are acceptable is unacceptable in my eyes.

Link to my videos.

What's the thing you haven't done, I'm very intrigued. Glad you didn't do the same as me and sold your old one.
It's always a bit of a lottery as far as the Chinese 7x machines go.

I wonder if the US buyers from 'reputable' importers (Grizzly and LMS for example) face as dubious QC as those of us in the UK.

Despite concerns about modern disinterest in practical skills (often expressed on here; and fairly so, I should add) by those in the US, there is a greater demand (and I mean per capita as well as overall) for hobby level machine tools.

That may mean the likes of ArcEuroTrade and Amadeal have much less power to influence the QC of Chinese manufacturers like Sieg, Weiss or Real Bull than the likes of Grizzly or LMS. It also may mean that, with a much smaller turnover, ArcEuroTrade and Amadeal struggle to afford decent QC when the imports arrive at their warehouse.

(Not excusing poor customer service by ArcEuroTrade the way. Amadeal offer notably cheaper prices and in my experience, the service that ArcEuroTrade offers isn't notably better than Amadeal's.)

I do wonder if we in the UK end up with, not the scrap bin rejects (those are destined for Vevor's warehouses:grin:), but maybe the 'b' grade output?

Back