Sieg x2D making a hole in steel

No pain, no gain! If you don't test your set up then you will never know what works and what doesn't. A good boring bar in a properly set up boring head does not produce all that much cutting force and even a small mill is capable of much more than you might think. Just saying ...
I plan to when I get a set-up I'm comfortable with. I also need to stiffen everything as well. Your advice and experiences are very much appreciated. Thanks.

My experience is that there are differences in setting up a boring bar for a lathe versus a boring head in a mill. You have more degrees of adjustment freedom on a lathe because you can change the effective rake by rotating the bar, but then drop (or raise) the holder to compensate -- but that's not possible when you are using a boring head in a mill. In that situation, rotating the bar to increase or decrease the rake changes other geometric factors that you can't eliminate or reduce, other than grinding a different rake angle or buying a different boring bar.

Back