Siemens Sinamics V20 3 HP

Just for conversation, is the Huan Yang doing what you need it to do? What is driving the SBL13 now?

Just for conversation, is the Huan Yang doing what you need it to do? What is driving the SBL13 now?

The Huan Yang does everything I need it to do except for one thing, it is not brake resistor capable. The terminals are there, but somehow inoperable.

The SBL is in its factory configuration, cone belt pulley for speed change.

I truly dread taking the motor out of the SBL and replacing it. The underdrive system is great, but what a pain to service.

I’m only 6-8 miles away, I’d be glad to lend a hand if needed.

Thank you, appreciate that. Will take you up on your offer when the time comes. Though I am mobile, with both knees replaced, it is still a struggle getting up and down from sitting
Kneeling is out due to severe discomfort.

Reactions: Z2V
Thank you. Any particular issue with these units and how they are wired and programmed that I need to be aware of?

Don't know the Siemens configuration for the drive, but proper grounding and bonding (yes they are different) is critical. You NEED shielded cable from the drive to the motor, and the shield must be bonded to the drive and to the motor (the motor and the drive/enclosure should be solidly grounded together as well).

This drive will put out a pulsed 340VDC which has extremely high dV/dt causing large amounts of radiated EMI. If you don't properly handle grounding this out it WILL cause problems with other circuits in your control panel.

Again, awesome find on the drive!

i have hundreds of VFD's in service on the equipment i service.
Not one of the the VFD's is using shielded cable nor are they bonded, simple grounding to machine frame.
i have not had an instance of EMI related failure or anomaly in the microprocessors or operating circuits.

Bamban
let me know when and I will also try to come help what I can.
I want to see that new lathe anyway. NIce thick rubber pad helps when you have to get down like that, Then I normally try to have something there handy to help pull myself up when needed.

i have hundreds of VFD's in service on the equipment i service.
Not one of the the VFD's is using shielded cable nor are they bonded, simple grounding to machine frame.

Totally agree. I have seen tons of VFD's running unshielded cables and are not fully bonded to the subpanel and most of them work fine, however I have also seen plenty which interfere with nearby signals and proper operation of the drive. At work we are often meeting rigorous EMI specifications, so grounding and bonding are a core part of the design rather than an afterthought.

However at the end of the day, I would say read the mechanical/electrical installation section of your manual (although Siemens does leave a little to be desired on the documentation end of things :)) and build away.

Back