Sight Mounting Fixture

I have been thinking about the same thing. I have a friend that has the Forster sight mounting fixture. I have a mill, do you? I have been thinking about how I could make a fixture that I could install into the vise on my table. Or into the vise on a bench. Maybe we could come up with something?

I don't own a mill, but I have access to one. I am currently enrolled in a Machining program. I used the previous mentioned fixture when I was at Colorado School of Trades, and we would use in in the mill and in drill presses. I'm looking to make one for my business. What do you have in mind?

I don't own a mill, but I have access to one. I am currently enrolled in a Machining program. I used the previous mentioned fixture when I was at Colorado School of Trades, and we would use in in the mill and in drill presses. I'm looking to make one for my business. What do you have in mind?

To be honest, I am not sure. I want to make a fixture that arrests the action so that the action may be marked appropriately for the mounts. Perhaps the vise on my mill is enough. I really need to think more about this. Perhaps you have an idea?

If you look at the picture in the link it shows that the the barrel and action are leveled and secured in place by "C" clamps on the barrel and a riser below the action. You then use the correct drill size and corresponding bushing to get exact center of the boreline on the receiver. Instead of the riser below the action you could probably make a different sized platform for each type of action (Mauser, Rem. 700, ect) and use the action screws to keep it held on, but I would still use the clamps on the barrel. 2 reasons: 1, because on something long like this you want to take out any chatter or vibrations and for as long as the barrel is, it is a fulcrum and your action moves. 2, that is where you get proper centering.

I used this fixture also in school and just bit the bullet and bought it while in school with the 20% student discount.

Where did you buy it? I still think I would rather make it. I will draw up a blueprint and make one, soon. I'm lucky I'm in a machining program that my instructor realizes that everyone has different needs. Most of the people in my class will go on into the machining industry, where I will continue being a gunsmith. Before he became the instructor, all anyone made was BS projects that they called widgets, that did nothing for you except repeat the machining ways into the student. Currently, everything a student makes tools, such as "V" blocks, 45 degree lathe holders, Thread tool fixture, etc. Things that people will need in any industry in the machining world. He sees all the different things that a gunsmith could use, so he gives me a little leeway. I built a 1911 Frame holding fixture, custom Norinco 1911 grip screw bushings (because they aren't the normal size and nobody sells/ makes them), and a few other things.

Hello Guys, I am not a gunsmith, but I do own a few guns.
Looks like a fairly easy fixture to make. What I wonder, is why you need the bushings, unless you are drilling holes without a drill press or mill. If you have the fixture mounted to an x y table on a mill, you should be able to locate, drill and tap the first hole. Then move the table to locate the next hole etc. The vee blocks simply line everything up, and the riser provides more support for rigidity. I don't think you would need the bushings with this set up (if you were working on a good x y table).
Now if you were trying to drill these holes with a hand drill, you would need the bushings.
Am I missing something, are the holes you want always in line down the center of the barrel?
Larry

LJP, You are correct. I have a Forster Jig that I used for some time before I had a mill. But with the mill, I just use the DRO. Sometimes the jig body and v blocks are used to better hold the barreled action, buy the drill guide and bushings are not used any more. Now it is great if you only have a drill press.
Bobby

It is more for non-mill owners, but it is still for mill owners. While I was in gunsmithing school, we still used this fixture in mills. It expedited the process by not having to use the edge finder tool. With the clamps on the barrel it helps keep the receiver in line with the bore and support on the receiver keeps the receiver perfectly level, which is the main reasoning for the fixture. That alone is what is most important. You are right about the X and Y on a drill press, although mine doesn't measure as well a mill does.

Back