Sight Mounting Fixture

Hey that sucker would be real handy. Glad I read this post because I didn't know there was such a thing.. I have vertical mill with DRO but its usually awkward to hold a barreled receiver straight and level on the mill table and I can throw something together like that in a single weekend or a few additional days if want to build something purty.

I just set up the receiver or barrel in soft jaws on the drill press, making sure it is nice and square.
Then I use a fishtail center finder and drill the hole. if you use the fishtail for each hole. you get perfectly centered holes even if your vice jaws aren't indicated to the quill/spindle. Works like a champ and is less than $20.

I added slots on the sides of mine to make clamping to the mill table quick and solid.

I have one of the forster drill jigs in use in my shop. It will pay for itself in a short time if you are drilling and tapping receivers.. Everthing lines up if set up correctly and holds the barrel and receive in allignment.. Drill bushings are handy when you encounter a hard receiver! Time is money in the shop!

Sharky, I read your reply about using a fishtail for drilling sight base holes. I have never used one for that purpose. Would you please describe how you have used it for that application?

I too have one of these fixtures. Quite handy. However, mine, as it was shipped, was not designed to be used in a mill vise. The back side was not machined and will "deflect" when placed in a vise. Some simple machine work will correct this.

Back