Silliness

n9viw

Registered
Registered
This is what happens when you're A) a burgeoning machinist, B) an electrician, and C) a cheapskate.

19??s 3-phase motor with old brittle cloth-wrapped rubber-jacketed wiring. Megs and ohms out fine, just needed a little more protection and some new, more flexible leads.

Attachments

• 20240120_155009.jpg
    20240120_155009.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 75
I also use liquid tape... it's perfect for situations where you can't get a shrink tubing in.
I did the same to my South Bend motor...

This is what happens when you're A) a burgeoning machinist, B) an electrician, and C) a cheapskate.

19??s 3-phase motor with old brittle cloth-wrapped rubber-jacketed wiring. Megs and ohms out fine, just needed a little more protection and some new, more flexible leads.
Nice job!
Btw
I'm not only cheap I'm downright parsimonious...

I'm a cheapskate too and proud of it LOL
Those windings look dark- Is it just varnish?
So far as I can tell, yes- it's the assembly varnish. This motor is quite a bit older than I am. I figure I'll run it till it dies, then replace it, but at least this way I've got time to save up until that point.

I also use liquid tape... it's perfect for situations where you can't get a shrink tubing in.
I did the same to my South Bend motor...
Got a brand you like? I tried some from the local big box store and it wasn't worth the bottle that contained it.

GsT

Got a brand you like? I tried some from the local big box store and it wasn't worth the bottle that contained it.

GsT
Both purchases have been big box. They both (different brands) have worked well. Acetone will thin it back out if it starts curing in the can.
I have no problem with them... Just let them cure , don't rush it. In a day they are like the rubber coating on a quality cord.

Both purchases have been big box. They both (different brands) have worked well. Acetone will thin it back out if it starts curing in the can.
I have no problem with them... Just let them cure , don't rush it. In a day they are like the rubber coating on a quality cord.
I have found that it also helps to store the can upside down, it seems to slow down the cuing/drying out in the can. And yes, I thin mine periodically with acetone.

Back